Monday, April 21, 2014

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #1)



{Review} City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Title: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Published: March 27th, 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
Pages: 485

{Summary}
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

{Review}
Cassandra Clare has created a very detailed, intriguing world filled with daemons, Underworlders, and Shadow Hunters.  I liked all of the characters that Clare introduced into this book, especially Clary.  I also thought Simon was an excellent side-kick to Clary, in fact, he may be my favorite character.  I liked learning about the different Underworlders and I can’t wait to see what others will be introduced in the following books. I think that this writing style will appeal to adults, as well as teens, because the writing is more advanced.  In some young adult books today, I feel like the author uses basic worlds and feels the need to explain everything to the reader, but Clare doesn’t.  She uses more intelligent dialogue and lets the reader use their imagination.  I thought the end of the book was very good and I did not see the big twist coming.  

Although I did like this book, I did have some issues with it.  My biggest issue with this book was how Clary just accepted that Shadow Hunters and daemons existed.  I did not feel like she was in shock or denial, she just accepted everything she was told.  I know that some people dislike this book because they say that it rips off numerous other series.  I did see similarities between this series and others, but it did not turn me off from continuing it. This book reminded me a lot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV show, never read the books), with all the sarcastic dialog, kick-ass fight scenes, and the best friend side-kicks.  I liked most of the characters, but I did think Jace was too broody.  I think there is a fine line between confidence and just being annoying and Jace crossed that line many times.

I will admit that I read this book because I love movie adaptations, but I have to say, this was by far the worst adaptation I have ever seen.  I did watch this movie right after finishing the book so I could have been a little judgmental because everything was fresh in my mind, but they changed a lot in the movie.  I understand changing some things in movies that just won’t register the same from the book, but the things changed in the movie were not necessary.  Whole aspects of the book were changed in the movie and it was very annoying.  I don’t think I would have hated this movie as much if I had not read the book at all, but I still would have rated it at the highest a C.

Although I did have some issues with this book, I am going to continue on with the series (since I already have the next three books). I have heard Clare’s other spin-off series, The Infernal Devices, is better so I may pick series up as well.    


{Rating}


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...