Friday, April 18, 2014

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (Shatter Me #1)



{Review} Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Published: November 15, 2011 by Harper
Pages: 388
{Summary}
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

{Review}
Okay, so I have an embarrassing confession. I checked this book out from the library and as I was flipping through the pages (as I always do before I start a book), I noticed whole parts of the book’s sentences had been crossed out.  I couldn’t understand why someone had taken a pen and marked throughout entire sections of the book, huge chunks! I was just about to call the library to explain to them I had not done it, when I found that the cover had words crossed out on it as well. I then realized that this was not someone crossing out huge sections of the book, it was meant to be there.  I thought it was so unique and different, which really started this read off on a good note.  

The writing style of this book is very unique, but can sometimes be hard to get into the rhythm of reading it.  With sentences and words repeated and then crossed out, I had a hard time reading the first couple of chapters.  However, the writing style really makes this book.  With Juliette (main female protagonist) having been in an asylum for years, it really makes you feel the severe damage and pain Juliette has had to suffer.
I liked Juliette’s character development in this book, but I did not see much development with other characters.  I also hate insta-love, it makes me care less about the romantic relationship between two characters and the hardships that they have to endeavor.  This book has two cases of insta-love, although one is kind of insta-obsession.  This book sets up a love triangle between Adam, Warner, and Juliette (which love triangles are my guilty pleasure).  

Mafi does a good job at world building and book pacing.  Once I got past the first couple of chapters, I could not put this book down.  Although I did have some problems with some aspects of character relationships, I did like the book overall.  I am intrigued to find out how Mafi makes readers root for Warner and to learn more about Juliette’s gift.  I will be continuing on with this series, in fact, I have already purchased the rest of the books (Unravel Me & Ignite Me).  I can’t wait to see how this story ends.

{Rating}


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...