Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Host by Stephenie Meyer



{Review} The Host
Title: The Host
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Published: May 6th, 2008 by Little Brown and Company
Pages: 620

 
{Summary}
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.

{Review}
This book took me two tries to finish reading it.  The fact that it is massive and the first 100 pages never captivated me, I always put it down.  However, I decided to push through because I wanted to watch the movie and I am glad I did (not the movie part…it was horrible!)   This book became addicting after you trudge through the first part, and I was able to finish it in two days.  I feel that this book has such a better plot and characters than Meyer’s Twilight series (don’t get me wrong, I did like Twilight), so if you did not like Twilight, please give this book a try.  I have never read a book were there were two characters in one.  I felt that there was a distinct difference between Melanie’s and Wanda’s personalities, which could have easily blended together and have felt like one character instead of two.  This was a twist on the love triangle because it really was not a love triangle since the two girls loved different boys, but used the same body to pursue their romances.  I was a little more captivated by the love story between Melanie and Ian, but I did not particularly like Jared.  The character development was excellent and I could see how all the characters evolved in this book.  I thought the supporting characters were exceptional and the plot was well paced.  I really did not know how the book was going to end and I thought that it really set this book up for a good trilogy.

I think this book is (was) intended to be continued, but it has been 6 years and still no books or even a hint of continuation.  Possibly Meyer decided she didn’t want to continue because a second movie after The Host seemed slim? I’m not sure, but I really wish she would have continued on because this book was so good.  I would recommend everyone giving this book a try, but I would not watch the movie, at all, it was that bad.  

{Rating}


2 comments:

  1. I thought Twilight was okay, and didn't really care for the characters, so I wasn't enthralled with the idea of reading The Host. I picked it up one day because I couldn't find anything better and I loved it! I couldn't even believe it was the same writer! The Characters were captivating, surprising, and unique (unique being there were two characters living in one body) which I thoroughly enjoyed! I would recommend this book to anyone! Even if you hated Twilight!

    mylowercaselife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! I'm glad you enjoyed it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...