Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Selection by Kiera Cass (The Selection #1)



{Review} The Selection
Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Published: April 24th, 2012 by HarperTeen
Pages: 336

{Summary}
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

{Review}
I was on the fence about this book before I even cracked open the cover and read the first page.  Looking at the reviews of this book on Goodreads showed that this is one of those books that you either love or hate.  I liked this book despite its flaws because I was looking for a light, fun read, which is exactly what this book is.  This book has some world building issues and lacks substance in its plot, but I did enjoy the characters and plot pacing.  I really liked the parts of this book that focused on the competition between the girls and the romance aspects, but I really was not captivated by other aspects of the plot (I don’t want to get into too much detail because this would be considered a spoiler).  Some people criticize the unique names of the characters (America/Aspen/Maxon), but I like different names when it comes to dystopian reads.  I get enough normal names from other young adult books, its refreshing to have character names that I don’t see often (or ever).  I did find America annoying and a bit whinny at the beginning of this book, but nothing that turned me off of this book completely.  I also thought that there should have been more character development of Aspen, especially at the beginning of this book.  Overall, this book is more on the “fluffier” end when it comes to book development, but I still greatly enjoyed this book.  I feel like this book is aimed more towards girls in their young teens (but I am 25 and still enjoyed it).  If you like The Bachelor (reality dating show) and romantic dystopians, I would highly suggest this read.  If you hate love triangles, I would steer clear of The Selection
{Rating}


On a side note, Kiera Cass has a YouTube channel in which she discusses her book and aspects of getting published.  You can check out her channel here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...