Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Elite by Kiera Cass (The Selection #2)



{Review} The Elite
Title: The Elite
Author: Kiera Cass
Published: April 23th, 2013 by HarperTeen
Pages: 336

{Summary}
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

{Review}
I liked this book much better than the first book.  Most of the problems that I had with the first book were so much better in this one.  In this book, the number of girls fighting for Prince Maxon’s love has dwindled, which helped create good supporting characters.  I like that we were able to learn more about other characters and not just focus on America, Aspen, and Maxon.  I really liked America in this book, she was not a pushover and stood up for her beliefs.  Cass also expanded Aspen’s character, which made me care more about who America was going to choose.  The subplot about the rebels was also expanded in this book, which I am very intrigued to see where it is headed in The One (the third book in the trilogy). The love triangle was taken up a notch in this book.  With Aspen's part in the first book being so brief, it was easy to root for Maxon, but this book really made me question who I wanted America to choose.  Usually in books, I feel the author pushes the reader in a certain direction of who the main character will be with, but I honestly feel that Cass has made this an even fight.  Both Aspen and Maxon have redeeming qualities worth rooting for, but I honestly hope she chooses Maxon.  I have to admit that I have not read The Prince or The Guard (the novellas from Maxon’s and Aspen’s point of view), which could help sway the reader in a certain direction.  I will defiantly continue on with this series because I desperately need to know who America chooses!  If you liked the first book, you will love this one.

{Rating}


Dying to know who America will choose? The third and final installment in The Selection series, The One, will be released on May 6, 2014. You can pre-order your copy from Amazon by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...