Thursday, May 8, 2014

Lingering Echoes by Erica Kiefer



{Review} Lingering Echoes by Erica Kiefer
Title: Lingering Echoes (Lingering Echoes #1)
Author: Erica Kiefer
Published: November 16th, 2013 by Clean Teen Publishing
Pages: 388

{Thank you Clean Teen Publishing and Netgalley for providing this in return for an honest review}

{Summary}
“You can’t change the past… no matter how much you want to.”
If only Allie Collins could go back to that tragic day one year ago, perhaps she could escape the guilt that haunts her. In reality, there was no altering her cousin’s death or the role she played. Then she meets Damien Michaels, a dark-haired stranger on a dirt bike, who seems to watch Allie and know more about her than he should. Veiling his own secrets, including a mysterious scar and unexplained tattoo, Allie knows she shouldn’t trust him—especially as she digs up a past Damien desperately wants to forget. She also doesn’t believe in summer romances, yet she finds her attraction to him growing beyond his striking grey eyes.

Unfortunately, Allie discovers too late that he is hiding a dark past which is far from over, endangering her life and those she loves.

{Review}


This book covers loss, guilt, and regret flawlessly. I liked that this book touched on deeper subjects and was not just a fluffy read. This book is full of emotional situations that defiantly pulled at the heart strings. Although I was in love with the end of this book, I did not get invested in the story until about the halfway mark.


I liked the overall plot of Lingering Echoes; it was filled with romance, mystery, and emotional drama.  I feel like the pacing of this book was alright, but it did not capture my attention right away.  I wish that this book was a little more detailed with the setting and characters, I felt like I had to create everything myself because nothing was described.  I liked the mystery in this book, it really kept my attention and although it is fairly predictable, I did not see the ending coming.  The ending was extremely fast-paced and exciting; I could not put it down.  However, my biggest issue with this book was plot holes.  At one point in the book, Allie’s twin sisters were suppose to arrive, but then they never showed up and nothing was mentioned of plans changing.  There was also a couple of editing issues with the eBook structuring that was very distracting at times, however, this could have been because this was an advanced readers copy.  

I liked Allie as a main character; she was vulnerable and strong at the same time.  I found her past history to be heart breaking, but was glad that she was able to overcome her fears.  I did not like Damien as the main romantic interest of Allie.  He lacked personality and I found that he was a little abusive.  Although his stalker behavior was addressed at the end of the book, I still could not get over the fact that he was sometimes rude to Allie and came off as possessive.  I actually was rooting for Allie to dump Damien and be with Aaron instead.  I thought he was a better character for Allie because he was supportive and never treated Allie badly.  I never felt the connection between Allie and Damien and felt they were only drawn to each other because of their damaged pasts.  I did like the other supporting characters, Brooke, Nick, and her father.

Overall, I would have rated this book two stars if it were not for the ending.  I felt like the ending of this book and the emotional connection I felt with Allie was the only redeeming qualities to this book.  However, I do think that some people would really enjoy this book and I would recommend it to readers looking for a contemporary book with a little mystery.

{Rating}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...