Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The One by Kiera Cass



{Review} The One
Title: The One (The Selection #3)
Author: Kiera Cass
Published: May 6th, 2014 by HarperTeen
Pages: 336
{Amazon}{Goodreads}

{Summary}
The highly anticipated third book in Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series, The One will captivate readers who love dystopian YA fiction and fairy tales. The One is perfect for the fans who have followed America's whirlwind romance since it began—and a swoon-worthy read for teens who have devoured Veronica Roth's Divergent, Ally Condie's Matched, or Lauren Oliver's Delirium.

The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of IllĂ©a, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen—and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.

{Review}
With this being the conclusion of The Selection series, I was worried I would be left unsatisfied with the ending, but thankfully I loved it!  This book was really addicting and I finished it within two days; I just couldn’t put it down.  I felt the pacing of this book was perfect and the story flowed very steadily.    

I really liked how the plot progressed in this book, however, I felt like it focused more on the romance than the rebel rebellion, which disappointed me.  I was really hoping that this book would include even more about the rebellion than The Elite, but sadly, I felt like it focused more on the romance aspect and left me wanting more substance.  However, I really did like the romance in this book, which was what really kept me reading this book nonstop.  I also liked that Cass included some twists that I was not expecting; however, there was some pretty predictable parts as well.  By the end, I was worried that the books’ ending was going to be disappointing, but it really became exciting and I loved how it ended.  I did find that the ending wrapped up a little too flawlessly, but it still felt like all aspects were concluded and I felt satisfied.  

I really liked that this book included more focus on America’s relationship with the other girls in the selection and I really felt like the girls had become friends.  I definitely did not know how attached I had become to these characters until this book.  I found myself worried about their happiness and the struggles they were enduring.  I could see how America’s character grew from The Selection and how her romantic relationships were evolving into something deeper.  I was never annoyed by America in the first two books, but I did become annoyed with her decisions near the end in this one.  I also like that the reader was able to find out the meaning behind America's name, which I know some readers were not fond of.  I did feel like Maxon’s and Aspen’s character development was better in The Elite, but I was not disappointed by this.  

Overall, I really enjoyed this series and would highly recommend it to readers who enjoyed the first two books.  I do however feel this book is a fluffy read and explains everything to the reader without giving them a chance to discover things on their own.  The only aspect that disappointed me about this series is the lack of development of the rebellion, but I felt satisfied with the conclusion and am happy that I finished the series.



{Rating}

I usually do not like book trailers because I think they sometimes come off as cheesy, but I absolutely loved the book trailer for The One.  I watched it several times and it really pumped me up for this book.  Check it out below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...