Sunday, May 4, 2014

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi (Shatter Me #2)




{Review} Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
Title: Unravel Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Published: February 5th, 2013 by HarperCollins
Pages: 461

{Summary}
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.

                     {Review}
Unfortunately, I did not like this book as much as the first.  The first half of the book was hard for me to get through, but once I hit the 200 page mark, it picked up the pace.  I am having a hard time digesting Mafi’s writing style, where as in the first book I found it unique, I found it sometimes awkward in her sequel.  Mafi writes phrases such as, “…you keep trying to speak but your throat was full of rain clouds and it’s like someone has taken the ocean and filled it with silence and dumped it all over the room.” (P. 352)  This is a good representation of what you can expect to read in this book.  At times, it was beautiful, but occasionally I had no idea what Mafi was trying to say.  

I had some issues with character development as well.  First off, I loved Kenji, he was funny and my favorite character.  Adam lacked personality; I felt like I never really knew who he was because he would have a brief interaction with Juliette and then run off to do something else.  The novella, Fracture Me, is told in Adam’s perspective, but I feel like this is a standalone book and should have had more insight into his character.  I really liked Warner, I find his character interesting and the development is superb.  However, when he would refer to Juliette as Love, I wanted to throw up in my mouth a little bit.  Some people can pull off using pet names, but it felt really awkward and sleazy when Warner used them.  I had a love/hate relationship with Juliette’s character.  When she was self-reliant and confident, I liked her character a lot, but those times were slim.  I thought Juliette was whiney and constantly making the same mistakes.  She was always withholding information and then, of course, it gets out somehow and she realizes she should have just told everyone in the first place….and then it happens all over again.  

I must admit that love triangles are my guilty pleasure, but I really didn’t like this one.  I did like the two men in the triangle, both were interesting and worth rooting for, but I did not like Juliette.  I found her to be a player, which I do understand that a love triangle requires interests in two different characters, but I thought Juliette was leading both on in the worst ways.  I would have preferred it if she was not so involved with both boys at the exact same time and pretty much came extremely close to having sex with both of them.  I just wish things did not escalate so fast and she would have not got so involved until she was really dedicated to one of them.

I do like the plot of this series and the aspects that dealt with the resistance were the most interesting for me.  I found that there were enough twists to keep me interested and I really liked where the end of this book left the plot and characters.  I really hope Juliette gets more kick-ass and independent, which would make me enjoy the third book more.  I will read the last book purely to continue on with the resistance plot, not to find out who Juliette chooses.  POSSIBLE SPOILER: I do have a theory that she will choose Warner, but I have not heard any spoilers other than the fact that everyone loves Warner more than Adam after reading this book, plus the name of the final book being Ignite Me.

{Rating}


 
Interested in learning more about Adam’s character?  Check out Mafi’s novella, Fracture Me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...