Monday, June 23, 2014

Movie Adaptaion Review: Vampire Academy



{Movie Review} Vampire Academy
Title: Vampire Academy
Director: Mark Waters
Writers: Daniel Waters (Screenplay) & Richelle Mead (book)

Release Date: February 7, 2014

 
{Summary & Trailer}
Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, half human-half vampire, a guardian of the Moroi, peaceful, mortal vampires living discreetly within our world. Her calling is to protect the Moroi from bloodthirsty, immortal Vampires, the Strigoi.


{Review}
I really did not like this movie.  I really did not like the differences from the book and I felt that even if I had not read the book, I still would really not have enjoyed this movie.  I did not particularly like all the casting and at first I thought I might like the way the movie was directed, but the end product was horrible.  I know that Daniel Waters was trying to make this movie Mean Girls-ish, but it just made the entire movie a joke.  I thought it had some good lines, but most of them fell flat and were plain dumb.  

I did like Zoey Deutch cast as Rose Hathaway.  She was able to be snarky without being too obnoxious.  I also really liked Lucy Fry as Lissa because I felt like she was really able to capture the character from the book.  However, I really didn’t like Danila Kozlovsky cast as Dimitri because I felt the chemistry between him and Deutch really lacked.  Also, I really didn’t find myself swooning over movie Dimitri like I did for book Dimitri.  I also did not really like the casting of Headmistress Kirova, played by Olga Kurylenko, which was mostly because I pictured her completely different.  Other than those castings, I liked the rest of the supporting cast members.

I really hated all of the scenes that were changed from the book.  In fact, at one point I felt like the ending might be entirely different, but thankfully it was not.  I understand that some parts of books may need to be changed for the movie, but the changes were unnecessary and did not improve the movie.  I also thought the scene [SPOILER] were Rose and Dimitri were lusting after each other because of the necklace was extremely laughable and was uncomfortable to watch [END SPOILER].  I also thought that if the audience had not read the book, they may be lost at certain areas in the movie because it was all over the place.  A scene would happen and then not be entirely explained until later in the movie.

I think that readers will be very disappointed by this adaptation and I might even go far enough to say this is the worst book to movie adaptation I have ever seen.  I am unsure if there are plans to make the second book, Frostbite, into a movie, but I don’t know how they will come back from the first one.  With the first movie making the entire book into a joke, I think they will need to go in a completely different direction.  The movie did leave off at a point that I would assume the series would continue to be adapted.  I was actually kind of upset because I only read the first book of the series and I am pretty sure that the end of the Vampire Academy movie spoiled what the next book(s) will be about.  Overall, I would not recommend this movie to anyone. 
{Rating}

4 comments:

  1. I'm sad you didn't like it more, I wasn't actually impressed by it but I didn't hate it either even if there were a few changed that really annoyed me. Do you remember the part when Rose broke her ankle? In the book it was an accident while in the movie Lissa was the one who did this to her which made me extremely angry because book Lissa would never have done this. Besides this their friendship was completely believable.
    I absolutely hated Dimitri and I think he looked waaay too old for a high-school student, I didn't feel any chemistry between them either. I liked the actor who played Christian and the rest of the cast wasn't bad either but yeah, Kirova was different from what I have imagined.
    Sometimes I laughed at the jokes meanwhile sometimes I was mortified because they were so forced.
    All in all I still think it was enjoyable, and unlike you I think someone who didn't read the book could get it as well because I was with someone who didn't read it and every time I started to explain something to her it ended up being unnecessary because it was explained later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have been a little tough on my review of Vampire Academy, but after I have seen Catching Fire & The Fault in Our Stars, I feel like I have higher expectations than I did with Twilight and City of Bones. I have no idea why directors/screen writers still choose to change big parts when adapting books because it always gets a backlash from readers. I am really glad that you liked the movie and I hope if they make the second one into a movie, that I will enjoy it more. I really do hope that they make the second into a movie because I would really like to see if they change the tone of the movie or keep it the same. Thanks for commenting : )

      Delete
  2. I'll admit, this movie was a bit of a train wreck. I liked seeing the book played out on screen, just to see everything in my head actually come out onscreen. I didn't really like it though... Lissa and Dimitri were all wrong. I liked Hyland as Natalie and Deutch as Rose along with the actor who played Christian. Besides that and the awesome music, I didn't really like the movie.

    Rachel @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that I really liked the music in this movie! I also really liked who they cast as Natalie, which she was better than I had imagined in my head. I also really didn't like how they portrayed Rose jumping into Lissa's mind. I found it really corny, especially when she was talking to her like she could hear her. I was really excited to see this movie because the trailer showed hope that it would be good and really funny, but I did find it somewhat amusing, but I would never buy this or watch it a second time. Thanks for commenting : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...