Thursday, June 19, 2014

Movie Adaptation Review: The Fault in Our Stars



{Movie Review} The Fault in Our Stars
Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Director: Josh Boone
Writers: Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber (Screenplay) & John Green (Book)

Release Date: June 6, 2014

{Summary & Trailer}
Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.


{Review}
This was one of the best movie adaptations that I have seen in a long time!  I was worried that I would be super picky since I finished the book three days before seeing the movie and all the details were fresh in my mind, but this movie was exactly like the book.  There were very few differences (mostly in the end), but that is expected since it is hard to adapt books completely to the big screen.  

The acting in this movie was superb.  Shailene Woodley was cast perfectly as Hazel and was able to covey the emotions of the book great.  She really made Hazel likeable and relatable.  Ansel Elgort, who played Augustus Waters, was also very well cast.  I found myself getting teary eyed the most from his scenes.  I felt the chemistry between Woodley and Elgort was great and their romance felt genuine.  After seeing the movie, I could not imagine the casting of those two being any better.  Nat Wolff as Isaac was also great and I found most of the scenes that he was in hilarious.  I really can’t think of any of the characters that I would want recast in this movie; I felt everyone did an excellent job at portraying the characters from the book.

I also liked that all the deep themes were still addressed in the movie.  I liked that Augustus’s fear of not being remembered and Hazel’s fear of her parent’s lives falling apart after she passed was included in the movie.  I wish they would have included more about who got remembered, like [SPOILER] when they discussed in the book why Anne Frank was remembered above others who died in the Holocaust and the scene on the airplane when it was discussed how many dead names the living could remember so no one would ever be forgotten, but I understand that not everything could be included into the film [END SPOILERS].  Overall, I think the themes of the book were conveyed in one way or another.    

Overall, I thought this movie was great and really captured the book very well.  Although I still feel like the book was better, this movie was amazing.  For individuals who have read and loved the book, this movie is a must see.  I think this movie would be great for everyone to see, although the this movie is very intense so it may not be best for really young children.

{Rating}


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...