Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Raven and The Girl by Pauline Gruber



{Review} The Raven and The Girl
Title: The Raven and The Girl
Author: Pauline Gruber
Published: December 15th, 2013 by Dragonfly Ink Limited
Pages: 406

{Thank you Dragonfly Ink Limited and Netgalley for providing this in return for an honest review}

{Summary}
Good versus evil just got complicated. Sixteen-year-old Lucy Walker just wants a normal life, until she learns she is half-witch, half-demon. Now she's got other problems, like keeping her demon dad from killing her boyfriend, keeping the witches in her life from killing her demon dad, and keeping her non-supernatural friends safe from both sides. All the while she's desperately searching for the family raven that carries her magical legacy. She's walking a tightrope between good and evil, drawn to both, uncertain which she will ultimately choose. Fans of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga, Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver series, and Meg Cabot's Abandon series will love The Girl and The Raven!

{Review}
I have very mixed feelings about this book. I did not like the first half of the book, but I really enjoyed the second half.  I felt that the pacing of this book was really good, but I found the first part of the book boring and confusing.  The majority of the chapters were told in Lucy’s, the main character, point of view, but there were several chapters in the beginning that were told from various other characters.  These chapters made the book confusing to me because Gruber did not introduce the characters prior and the reader had not been introduced to the plot points in those chapters.  I understand that Gruber was probably trying to make the reader intrigued, but not give away major plot points so that there could be a big reveal later in the story.  I wish that those chapters had been written differently because, although they did lead to some shocking moments, I felt my initial confusion weakened the shocking reveals.  Once the chapters were only told in Lucy’s point of view, I was able to really enjoy the rest of the book.  

I must admit that I did not really like Lucy at the beginning of the story because I felt like Gruber was trying to write her as witty and humorous, but I felt like it failed.  Lucy mentioned her “spidey senses tingling” several times throughout the book, which really stood out as odd to me.  I felt like Gruber did not know who Lucy was going to be at the beginning of this book, but I felt like she really became a good character at the half-way point.  I also found Lucy’s relationship with Marcus to be a strange setup.  It was defiantly the fastest insta-love that I have ever read.  It felt like Lucy and Marcus did not even flirt that much and then were suddenly holding hands and kissing.  However, as the story progressed, I grew to like their relationship.  I also really liked Dylan as a character and thought his character development was consistent.

I really like the plot of this story and liked that Gruber setup a lot of big reveals later in the book.  The pacing kept me engaged once I was able to get more attached to the characters and plot.  I really liked the ending of this book and found that it was hard to put down.  Overall, I did greatly enjoy the ending of this book, but the first half was not the best.  I am interested in continuing on with Gruber’s story and will most likely pick up the next installment.  I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy stories about magic, mystery, and romance, but advise them to continue on to the second half of the book before putting it down if they are not enjoying it right away.     
 
{Rating}



Pauline Gruber's sequel will be released in December 2014 and be called The Girl and The Gargoyle!  Check out her website by clicking here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...