Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Blogging Confessions




This is a weekly meme created by Broke and Bookish.  Every week there will be a new subject to create a top 10 list of.

This week’s subject:
Top Ten Blogging Confessions

1.)    I am a thrift store junkie
I literally go to the thrift stores around my city every weekend just to scope out if they have any new books.  I can’t describe how amazing I feel when I get a book that I have been wanting to read at a thrift store for less than $2.00! I will even buy books that I already have if I find a copy I like better, which my husband thinks is crazy.  I also find myself wanting to buy books I already own just because it is such a good deal.

2.)                      I have never re-read a book….ever
I just have never felt compelled to re-read a book or series, not even the ones I absolutely love.  I have tried it before, but I hate knowing what is going to happen and it loses my attention quickly.  I just feel like there are so many books that I want to read, I should not re-read books until I have finished what I already own.

3.) I have never read a classic by my own free will
I have only read classic books in high school....not even in college.  I am really lacking on reading the classics, but I hope to be able to change that soon.  I sometimes get intimidated by classics because they are usually lengthy and I am afraid the content may go over my head.  If I could go back in time, I think I would have taken more English classes in college because I would have really enjoyed reading and discussing classics so that I could get all I could from the book from a person who knows the subject in-depth.

4.)                      I am addicted to Amazon
I will stay up until 1:00 am to check what eBooks have gone on sale on Amazon.  If for some reason I miss checking it in the early morning, it will be the first thing I do when I get up.  However, even if I see a book on Amazon that I want to buy, I usually wait for most of the day deciding if I really should buy the book before buying other ones I want more…usually I end up buying the book anyway.

5.)                       I inspect book before I buy them from stores, but I don’t care what happens to them when they get home.
I hate spending a lot of money on a book from the book store to find out that it is not in perfect condition.  I will look at all the books available on the shelf and pick the one that I feel is closest to perfect.  However, when I get home, I don’t take extra special care of my books.  I am not really hard on my books, but my 10 month old certainly is.  She had ripped numerous pages out of books (even ones that are brand new) and likes to play around with them on the floor.  I guess that I figure if my books will sustain any damage, it should be from me rather than buying damaged goods to begin with.

6.)                      I don’t own a bookshelf
I live in an apartment and have very little space to store books.  I shove them in all sorts of cubby holes and only keep out the books that I plan on reading in the near future by my bed.  I have books in my closet, the side tables in my living room, and even have some under my bed.

7.)                       The Twilight series really got me back into reading books.
I used to read a lot when I was in elementary school, but once high school hit, I always found I would rather hang out with friends or was working.  I also did not read a lot of books in college because I spent the majority of the time reading books that I did not like, so I wanted to just relax on the couch after doing homework instead of picking up a book.  When I saw the Twilight trailer, I really wanted to read the books and the semester was coming to an end and I was getting ready to move back home, so I figured I would pick it up.  I was instantly hooked and would read into the early morning just so I could finish it.  Twilight really re-sparked my love of reading and I still really do like the series (not the movies).   

8.)                        I started blogging because I became a stay-at-home mom and needed something to do.
After I had my baby, I took a year off of work to stay at home, but I soon became bored and wanted a hobby to occupy my time.  I started reading and then wanted to talk about the books with other people.  My husband and most of my friends don’t read so I had no outlet to discuss books so I decided that starting a blog would be the best way to share my opinions about books and hear other peoples.

9.)                       I suck at spell checking my reviews
I really do strive to have all my grammar and spelling correct when posting reviews, but I am constantly finding mistakes that I have made.  I feel like they are easily fixed mistakes, but when proof reading my review, my mind just corrects the problem so I never really notice it.  I also post reviews right after writing them, rather than going back and reading it later so I might be able to catch more mistakes.  I just don’t have a lot of time (mostly only an hour during nap time) to write and post reviews and when re-reading reviews I have posted weeks ago, I find myself correcting mistakes.

10.)                    I have a love/hate relationship with Netgalley
I love Netgalley because it enables me to read and review so many more books than I normally would be able to and I also feel like it kind of opens up a door to communicate with the author/publisher.  With being a new blogger, I never really expect to be approved for most of the books that I request (which enables me to request a lot of books at one time) and I am always surprised when I get approved, but then I find myself rushing to read all these Netgalley books to keep my ratio up and get reviews out before the books are published.  Sometimes I feel like it gets a little nerve racking trying to keep up on reading Netgalley books and books that I own.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Netgalley, but sometimes it’s a little too addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...