Tuesday, August 5, 2014

DIY Quote Bookmarks

DIY Quote Bookmarks


Supplies:

o   Mod Podge
o   Foam Paint Brush
o   Scrapbook Paper
o   Scissors
o   Ruler
o   Quotes Printed on stock paper
o   Hole Punch (optional)
o   Ribbon (optional)



Instructions:
1.      Find any type of quote that you love and want to place on your bookmark. I used Pintrest to find a lot of good quotes about reading, but you can use inspirational quotes, quotes from your favorite books, ect.

2.      I used PicMonkey to size and create my quotes. I liked using different styles of font for each line because I felt it gave my bookmarks some character. You can print the quotes in different colored ink, but I kept mine black because I did not know what scrapbook paper I would pair the quotes with.

3.      Print your quotes out on card stock in the best setting on your printer. You probably could use regular printer paper, but I wanted to make sure my bookmarks would be thick.

4.      Using a ruler, cut your quotes out as big or as little as you prefer. I cut my quotes closer to the words because I did not want huge bookmarks.

5.      Now decide what scrapbook paper will be used for each quote and cut them out to your preferred size. The size of your bookmark is completely up to you, but make sure that you leave enough room at the top of your bookmark to punch a hole (if you want).


6.      Make sure your ink on your printed quotes are completely dry for this step or it will cause the ink to smear and ruin your bookmark. Cover back of the paper with your quote on it in a thin layer of Mod Podge using the foam paint brush. Don’t slather too much on because it makes the paper harder to position. Position your quote on the scrapbook paper in the desired position and then place on paper.


7.      Using your foam paint brush, cover the entire bookmark with a generous amount of Mod Podge. I would recommend going around the edges of the paper with the quote first to make sure that it is well glued and then cover the rest of the bookmark (only the front). Make sure that you are using consistent brush strokes (only brushing down or sideways) because these will show up on the finished product. Also, do not slather your bookmark in Mod Podge, only use a generous amount. Use enough to make sure that your paper is covered completely and your quote is glued down, but if you use too much, it will cause the paper to curl.


8.      I never Mod Podged the backs of my bookmarks because I was afraid that the paper would soak up too much glue and cause it to curl.

9.      Let your bookmark dry completely (preferably overnight) and then punch a hole at the top and tie your ribbon (if you want to). I would wait around 72 hours before placing the bookmark in a book, but it could take longer depending on how much Mod Podge you used.









         You can also make other bookmarks using the scrapbook paper and letter stickers.  I used some scrapbook paper and cut it out like I did the quote bookmarks and used stickers to spell out read. Then I used Mod Podge to go over the entire bookmark (not the back), but I wiped the Mode Podge off of the stickers with a wet paper towel.  I used the Mod Podge to keep the stickers glued to the paper, but I did not want the Mod Podge to dull the sticker’s color, which is why I wiped it off.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...