Sunday, August 3, 2014

Followers by Anna Davies



{Review} Followers
Title: Followers
Author: Anna Davies
Published: June 24th, 2014 by Point
Pages: 224
{Thank you Point and Netgalley for providing this in return for an honest review}

{Summary}
To tweet or not to tweet . . . what a deadly question.

When Briana loses out on a starring role in the school's production of Hamlet, she reluctantly agrees to be the drama department's "social media director" and starts tweeting half-hearted updates. She barely has any followers, so when someone hacks her twitter account, Briana can't muster the energy to stop it. After all, tweets like "Something's rotten in the state of Denmark . . . and a body's rotting in the theater" are obviously a joke.

But then a body IS discovered in the theater: Briana's rival. Suddenly, what seemed like a prank turns deadly serious. To everyone's horror, the grisly tweets continue . . . and the body count starts to rise.

There's no other explanation; someone is live-tweeting murders on campus.

With the school in chaos and the police unable to find the culprit, it's up to Briana to unmask the psycho-tweeter before the carnage reaches Shakespearian proportions . . . or she becomes the next victim.

{Review}
I am so torn about how I feel about this book because while I enjoyed reading it, there were numerous problems throughout which really annoyed me.  I have really been trying to get into reading horror/mystery books in YA after I stumbled upon some amazing adult ones, but what I am finding is that there are hardly any good YA horror novels available or at least I have not found them yet.  I was really hoping this book would live up to the expectations I created in my head after reading the intriguing synopsis, but unfortunately, I was left unsatisfied by the end of the book.

First humongous problem with this book is that it is so inconsistent with its facts.  The synopsis does give a good feel about what the book is about, however, it adds a bunch of stuff that is not in the book or untrue.  Briana’s account is not hacked at any point in the novel, the Tweet mentioned is never used in the book, Briana’s rival’s body is not found in the theater, and her rival (which I use the term loosely) is not the first murdered.  I mean, that is over half the synopsis that is wrong, which is really disappointing.  As well as the synopsis being incorrect, there are some situations in the book that need editing.  At one point in the book all the lights are turned off at the school (which makes no sense because it serves no purpose), but then Briana and her friend turn on a light in a room literally a few pages later.  Then at the end of that same chapter, Davies mentions that the power is still off at the school.  I feel like that would be an easy mistake to be caught because it was so blatantly obvious.  Also, I have to mention, what is up with this book cover?  It has nothing to do with the plot and it makes readers think that there are evil children in it.

However, I did enjoy reading this book.  The writing was okay and the pacing of the book kept me guessing what was going to happen.  I liked that this book involved technology from today because I feel like it would feel more relevant to teens; however, in several years this book will be dated because of it.  I also really enjoyed the plot of this book because the mystery was interesting.  I did have trouble guessing who the killer was because I initially thought I knew who it was and kept with that hypothesis until the end to find out I was wrong.  I think it was confusing adding the aspect of a girl who had been murdered several years earlier.  I really thought that I was going to like where that was headed, but unfortunately, it did not go the direction I was anticipating.  I felt like that murder was just thrown in for no particular reason and did not add anything to the story at all.  

The characters were alright, but I still felt like there was a lack of character development.  I did like Briana’s character and I could relate to her wanting to fit in, but I did think she made some really irrational decisions, especially at the end of this book.  I did like the character of Zack, but I wish there would have been more about him.  He seemed like a funny character, but was not involved that much until the end.  Briana’s “friends” at the school were okay, but I still felt like they did not add that much to the book.  I mean, I know that they had to be in there, but I wish they were more developed and unique.  I did not care if the characters died and although I was curious about whom the killer was, I was not really rooting for Briana to catch them.
The romance in this book really lacked.  I don’t know exactly where Davies was going with it, but it seemed all over the place.  When you thought there might be a genuine connection between characters, it all of a sudden blind sides you and switches to something else and not in a good way.  I was not sure if I was supposed to be rooting for these characters to be in a relationship or hating them. 

I can’t say much about the ending because I don’t want to give away spoilers, but it was so abrupt.  The rational that determined who the killer was and the actions taken afterward were so crazy and strange to me.  I did like that there was an epilogue so the book did not just end with no wrap up, but I also thought that the pairings at the end of the book was pushed and that Davies wanted to wrap everything up so it would be a happy ending.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this book, but the ending left me unsatisfied.  I didn’t really have too many problems with the book until I realized the synopsis was incredible incorrect and gave readers the wrong impression of aspects in this book.  I do think that readers on the younger side, say yearly teens, would enjoy this book, but if you are any age over 15, then I would skip it and look for a better mystery novel.


{Rating}


 


Although I did have issues with this book, I want to check out Anna Davies's other book, Identity Theft, which looks very interesting.  It also includes technology, with a fake Facebook page being created to post incriminating pictures of the main character.  Check it out on Goodreads by clicking the picture.

1 comment:

  1. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN WISK!!

    Frankly, I wouldn't be tooo worried about what the whorizontal world thot about me, dear; I'd be much more concerned about what Jesus shall say at our General Judgment. You may not like me now, yet, I’m not out to please you. Lemme wanna gonna tella youse Who (grrr - New Joisey accent):

    Greeting, earthling. Not sure if we're on the same page if you saw what I saw. Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven’s Big-Bang’s gonna be like for us if ya believe/accept: meet this ultra-bombastic, ex-mortal-Upstairs for the most extra-blatant, catch-22-excitotoxxins, guhroovaliciousnessly delicious, pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Reality-Firepower-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, robust-N-risqué, eternal-real-McCoy-warp-drive you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-rrrock’nNsmmmokin’-hot-deal: PLEASE KEEP HANDS/FEET INSIDE THE WIDE UNTIL WE MADE A CIRCUMFERENCE OF the OUTSTANDING, NEVER-ENDING, THRILLIONTH-RED-MARKER-POSSIBILITIES!!! Puh-leeeze meet me Upstairs. Do that for us. Cya soon, girl…

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...