Sunday, August 24, 2014

The 100 Society by Carla Spradbery



{Review} The 100 Society
Title: The 100 Society
Author: Carla Spradbery
Published: September 4, 2014 by Hachette Children’s Books
Pages: 317
{Amazon}{Goodreads}
{Thank you Hachette Children’s Books and Netgalley for providing this in return for an honest review}

{Summary}
For sixth-form student Grace Becker, The 100 Society is more than just a game; it's an obsession. Having convinced her five friends at Clifton Academy to see it through to the end, Grace will stop at nothing to carry out the rules of the game: tagging 100 locations around the city. With each step closer to the 100-mark they get, the higher the stakes become. But when the group catches the attention of a menacing stalker - the Reaper - he seems intent on exposing their illegal game, tormenting Grace with anonymous threats and branding their dormitory doors with his ominous tag.

As the once tight-knit group slowly unravels, torn apart by doubt and the death of a student, they no longer know who to trust.

With time running out, Grace must unmask the Reaper before he destroys everything she cares about for ever…

{Review}
When this book was described as I Know What You Did Last Summer meets Point Horror, I instantly wanted to read this book.  I absolutely love cheesy, serial killer horror movies and really wanted to see how it would translate over into a young adult book.  For the first half of the book, I was really nervous that I was going to be let down with the comparison made about this book to one of my favorite horror movies, but then it really picked up and had me at the edge of my seat.  Unfortunately, this book was predictable and the characters weren’t anything special, but I was so engrossed by the plot, it made the book very enjoyable.

The plot of this book was fantastic.  I loved the mystery of who was sending the threatening messages to Grace and her friends.  The first half of this book was somewhat of a let down.  I found myself being bored at times and the plot seemed like this book was going to be very PG rated. I am not saying that the book needed to be blood and gore everywhere, but I was reading a horror story and I wanted to see something more than just a grim reaper being spray painted over Grace’s and her friend’s tags.  I almost wondered why they were so scared for the first half of the book.  Then a big event happens at the halfway point that changed the book completely.  The book became very suspenseful, mysterious, and fast paced.  I was constantly trying to figure out who I thought was behind the events that took place in this book.  I was a little disappointed that this book did fall into the clichĂ©s of horror films.  I did guess the end of the book, which was disappointing since I wanted to be totally blown away.  I wish Spradbery would have pointed the finger at more characters so that it would have been more difficult to guess the ending.  I also loved that this book was set in a school, which really added to the plot and made the story more original.

The writing of this book was not fantastic, but was not horrible either.  I did find myself being confused when there were flashbacks because it was not made clear when the plot went back into present tense, but those scenes were rare, so it did not take away from the book too much.  I also wish there was more description in this book.  I had a hard time imagining the setting and even what the characters looked like because a lot was not described clearly.  However, I did like that the book had special touches that made the design of this book stand out.  I liked that the chapter headings had the numbers spray painted, which looked really cool.  I also like that the book cover does not give anything away about the book that would ruin the plot.  

I was disappointed with the characters in this book.  I did not feel like I really knew any of the characters because none of their backgrounds were really explored.  I felt I knew the most about Grace, Trick, and Daniel, but the other characters were written pretty vaguely.  I never really found myself fearful for the characters in this book, which is bad since I am supposed to be rooting for them to stay alive.  I felt like the mystery of the book would have been so much better if Spradbery would have explored the characters backgrounds and made the reader feel like they knew the characters more.  I also was surprised that there was a love triangle in this book, which I wish would not have been included because it was too clique and ruined aspects of the plot.  I did like that the characters in the book were not portrayed as super virtuous or heroic.  The characters were flawed and at time selfish, which I really liked.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this book, but it was nothing special.  I love stories like the one presented in this book, which I think really affected how I felt about this book.  This book falls into the cliques of having no character development, crappy romance, and being cheesy at times, but those are all the things that make these types of horror movies/books good.  I would say that if you are looking for an easy and fun read, than to give The 100 Society a shot. 
{Rating}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...