Tuesday, September 2, 2014

{Review} Breathe for Me by Rhonda Helms





Breathe for Me by Rhonda Helms

Published: August 5th, 2014 by Spencer Hill Press
Series: Stand-Alone Book
Source: Won from Goodreads
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Romance
Pages: 232



Isabel’s been cursed since the Middle Ages

Desperate to escape an arranged marriage, she made a hasty bargain with a demon, asking for liberation from an oppressive husband-to-be and the excitement of travel. But the demon’s “gift” came at a steep cost. Each time he moves her to a new city, her memory’s wiped. No one can touch her bare skin without injury or even death. And she sees the lifespan of every living being (and is, in fact, immortal herself).

All a constant reminder that she’s different than other teen girls.

But New Orleans seems to accept her as she is. She has friends and a real life in this quirky, hot city. Then Isabel meets Dominic, whose deep soul and strong character draw her to him. Her growing love gives her the courage to confront the demon, insisting the curse be broken. But the demon’s price for freedom is much, much higher than she could possibly give.


{Review}
I was really on the fence about how to rate this book because I really enjoyed reading it, but I also had several issues with it as well.  When reading this book, it felt like a contemporary with paranormal aspects thrown in.  I loved the plot and writing of this book, but I felt like some character development lacked and the ending was disappointing.    

The writing of this book was absolutely amazing!  I would say this is some of the best writing that I have read this year.  I loved how the words just flowed so seamlessly and I loved the poetry that was in this book.  I also liked how some of the words and sentences were in different fonts to make them stand out.  The pacing was a little slow, but it never made me feel bored.  The pacing was really consistent throughout the entire book; in fact, I don’t ever recall it changing at all.  Even the ending of this book was a little slow on the pacing and I never felt the urgency in the situation like I should have.

The plot of this book was fantastic.  I thought that Helms introduced some really interesting and unique ideas.  I loved that Isabel could see numbers above people’s heads that would tell when they would die and I was really intrigued by the curse that Isabel had to endure.  I am also very impressed with how well all the aspects of the curse were thought out.  Most of the time I feel like there is a very obvious way for the character to get out of a situation, but I really could not see how Isabel was going to break her curse.  However, I did feel like the plot was a little underdeveloped at times, mostly the plot revolving around Sitri and his background.

I did really like Isabel as the main character because she was really down-to-Earth and relatable.  All of Isabel’s motives were really logical and I could understand why she was constantly pushing people away not to hurt them.  I liked that she was kind, compassionate, and really cared deeply for the people around her.  I felt like Dominic’s character was a little bland, but after thinking about it more, I realized that he was more reserved than the typical cocky, witty dialogued boys that are usually featured in the books that I read.  I feel like Dominic was someone who I would know in real life and I really like that.  I also like that he did not make irrational decisions toward the situation and kind of allowed Isabel to save herself.  I wish Samantha’s character would have been developed a little bit more.  I did not really feel anything towards her character and did not particularly like that parts that she was in.  

However, my number one favorite character in this book was Sitri.  I really, really wish that he would have been in the book more and that his character would have been developed more.  He seemed like he would have such an interesting background and the fact that it was only hinted about, but no real answers were given, made me sad.  I believe this book is a stand-alone and the fact that it left off without answering my questions about Sitri made me mark my rating down.  I think this book would have been a 4 star book, maybe even 5 star book, if the chapters would have been alternating between Isabel’s and Sitri’s point of views.  I wanted to know so much more about him!  How was he turned into a demon?  Did he love Isabel or was he just lonely?  What did he do when he was not with Isabel?  Did he have other humans under curses as well?  What was the purpose of putting people under curses?  I am glad that Helms added an epilogue in Sitri’s point of view, but that just left me wanting even more.

The ending of this book also fell flat for me.  It felt really rushed and wrapped up a little too nicely.  I kind of felt like the ending was a little confusing about the logic behind what happened.  I don’t want to mention too much about the ending since I don’t want to give it away, but I just wish it would have been executed differently.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this book and wish that there would be a second book released focusing on Sitri.  I think that a lot of people would really enjoy this book a lot.  The writing was really refreshing and the plot was unique.  I feel like this book is targeted to girls and women, but I could see any age enjoying this read.  I also think that the cover of this book is absolutely beautiful and would look good on any book shelf.



{Rating}

Check out more of Rhonda Helms's books by clicking on the pictures below.  She comes up with really interesting plots of her books and I really want to read something else from her since her writing was so amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...