Sunday, September 14, 2014

Playing Games by Jessica Clare & Jill Myles



{Review} Playing Games
Title: Playing Games (Games #2)
Author: Jessica Clare & Jill Myles
Published: June 15th, 2013 by Jill Myles
Pages: 184

{Summary}
Katy Short doesn't want to be on The World Races. She’s not a social butterfly like her brother (and partner) Brodie. In fact, she’s just as happy to end up in last place as in first.

But when her brother makes a selfish move that pairs her up with silent and surly rock star Liam Brogan, everything in the race changes. Now Katy’s fighting to stay out of the Loser Lodge, just so she won’t have to suffer through all that alone time with Mr. Tall, Dark and Arrogant.

Except Liam? Kinda hot. He’s sexy, pierced… and not nearly as surly as she thought. There’s one good thing about a game with partners -- lots of one-on-one time…

{Review}
These books are most defiantly my guilty pleasure reads and although I did not enjoy this book as much as the first, I still really liked it.  These books don’t really have the best writing, characters, or plot, but they are so fun to read and for some unknown reason, I really can’t put them down.  I began descending into a reading slump after reading a not so great book, but this book really pulled me out of it.   It was funny, witty, and just what I needed to get back into my reading regimen.    

First I want to mention that these books are for mature readers (17+) because they do contain sexual content.  The steamy scenes in this book were so well written, realistic, and not over the top.  I liked that this book still incorporated steamy scenes, but they did not over power the plot and only added to the story.  Sex scenes also were not the majority of this book; in fact, there were only two steamy parts.  Although the steamy scenes were written great, the rest of the writing was about average.  The pacing of this book was perfect, with a great mix of character development and the game.  I also enjoyed that this book, like the first, has a small paragraph at the beginning of each chapter from the male character’s point of view. 

The plot of this book was really simple, but that allowed for this to be a quick and easy read.  I found the simplistic plot to be refreshing and it allowed me to just enjoy reading without having to think about any deep themes.  This book was focused on a reality TV show that was based off of The Amazing Race.  Although I do like the game the first book was based off better (Survivor), it may have been because I never have watched an entire season of The Amazing Race.  I am pretty sure that most of the competitions aspects of this book were also based on previous seasons of The Amazing Race just like the first book were based off of real competitions I have seen on Survivor.  I did really like reading about the competitions and the fast paced nature of the competitions really had me on the edge of my seat.  

The characters in this book were really great.  I really liked Katy as the main character and found her to be relatable and realistic.  I did feel like she was not that much different from the main character in Wicked Games, Abby.  I felt like their inner dialogue and personalities were very similar, but still witty and funny.  I really, really like Liam in this book and I think I prefer him over Dean from the first book.  I am not really into tattoos and piercings, but I know that a lot of women find that attractive, which Liam has a lot.  I mainly liked Liam’s personality and that he was laid back and not domineering.  I liked that this book had Dean and Abby in it as well, even though their parts were very minimal.  I liked that Katy’s brother, Brodie, was a good villain in the book and I really rooted against him.  I am somewhat fearful that the ending of this book somewhat hints that Brodie may pop up in a different Games book, which I would not mind if he is still the villain, but I really hope it is not the guy interest for the girl.  I thought the character development was as good as it could have been in such a short book, but it was also not extremely deep either.  I felt like I did know the characters, but I did not know much about their back story.

The romance in this book was really entertaining.  I did feel a little more attached to Abby’s and Dean’s romance, but I think that it felt a little slower moving than Katy’s and Liam’s.  I also liked that there was a little bit more drama following the relationship of Abby and Dean and intentions were really questioned in that book.  This book focused more on the games aspect, as well as involving Katy’s relationship with her brother Brodie.  I am finding that there is a theme with these books when it comes to the romances.  The main character always is a normal girl who was somehow pushed into being on the TV show and has no interest with really trying to win.  The main male character always is some celebrity who girls flock to and who the main female character thinks she would never have a chance with.  One way or another they get stuck on the same team, which they both are not happy about, but then start to develop feelings.  I hope that future books may have the main character want to be on the TV show or not have her swooning over some rich celebrity.  It was fun for the first two books, but it would be nice if it was something a little different.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and have already bought the rest of the books in this series.  I also plan on picking up some more books from this author so I can try out a different series from her.  I would recommend this to mature readers who want to try new adult books, but don’t know where to start.  The first book of this series (Wicked Games) is free on Amazon, so it is worth trying if it sounds like something you may be interested in.

 {Rating}



Check out the other books in the Games series, as well as some other books from this author.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...