Sunday, September 21, 2014

Queen of Someday by Sherry D. Ficklin



{Review} Queen of Someday
Title: Queen of Someday (Stolen Empire #1)
Author: Sherry D. Ficklin
Published: October 7th, 2014 by Clean Teen Publishing
Pages: 262

{Thank you Clean Teen Publishing and Netgalley for providing this in return for an honest review}

{Summary}
Before she can become the greatest empress in history, fifteen-year-old Sophie will have to survive her social-climbing mother’s quest to put her on the throne of Russia—at any cost.

Imperial Court holds dangers like nothing Sophie has ever faced before. In the heart of St. Petersburg, surviving means navigating the political, romantic, and religious demands of the bitter Empress Elizabeth and her handsome, but sadistic nephew, Peter. Determined to save her impoverished family—and herself—Sophie vows to do whatever is necessary to thrive in her new surroundings. But an attempt on her life and an unexpected attraction threatens to derail her plans.

Alone in a new and dangerous world, learning who to trust and who to charm may mean the difference between becoming queen and being sent home in shame to marry her lecherous uncle. With traitors and murderers lurking around every corner, her very life hangs in the balance. Betrothed to one man but falling in love with another, Sophie will need to decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice in order to become the empress she is destined to be.

In a battle for the soul of a nation, will love or destiny reign supreme?

{Review}
I read this book in two sittings because it was that good!  This book was a cross between the show Reign (from the CW) and The Selection Series by Kiera Cass.  I loved everything about this book and think that it is great for young adult readers who are interested in jumping into the historical fiction genere.  It was able to combine historical aspects without becoming boring and having the ability to evoke tons of emotions.  This book was defiantly heavy on the romance, but it also included elements of social politics and women’s roles in that time period.  

The writing was great and the fact that it was written in first person POV really made me feel connected to the main character, Sophie.  I felt like the pacing throughout the book was steady, but the end of the book became very fast-paced and intense.  There were a lot of twists that I did not see coming and the end of this book is absolutely brilliant!  This book really evoked a lot of emotions from me, which I was not expecting.  I really felt attached to Sophie and wanted her to find happiness, but also understood the restraints she had to endure with being a woman in this time period.  This book made me feel happy and hopeful, but it also tore my heart out and was gut-wrenching.  I am really thankful that Ficklin was able to have some resolve at the end of this book, but still did not tie up all the loose ends.  I felt like she gave a silver lining, but also made it realistic and not wrap up perfectly.

I really loved Sophie as the main character.  By the end of the book, I could see how much she grew into her own and absolutely loved it.  I was worried that I would not be able to relate to Sophie since she was so young in this book, but because of the time period, I felt like Sophie acted more mature because of the expectations put upon her.  I also really liked Alexander and Sergei because they were both wonderful men, but still had flaws.  I did like Rina as a character, but I wish that she would have been a more intricate part of the book.  Except for a few conversations with Sophie, readers were unable to really see how Sophie’s and Rina’s friendship grew, which if more detailed, could have made a certain part of the book more gut- wrenching than it already was.  I really liked the roles that the empress and Peter played in this book and cannot wait to see how their relationships change with Sophie in the upcoming sequel.  I feel that all the characters were very dynamic and well-developed.  All the characters, even the ones readers were rooting for, had flaws and obstacles that they had to overcome.  

The romance in this book was amazing.  It was a sort of love triangle meets forbidden love with Sophie having three men vying for her heart.  I can’t talk too much in detail about the separate relationships because it would be full of spoilers, but I will tell you that they ripped my heart out several times.  I have never gotten so torn up about a relationship and where it was headed.  With the romance being such an intricate part in the first book, it defiantly was the driving force of the plot, but I think that the second book may be filled with more aspects of the politics of court.  I do hope that the second book does not focus so solely on the romance so that I am able to see Sophie grow even more and take her life within her own hands.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone interested in YA historical romance.  It was amazing!  I think that readers who do not like the historical genere, but really like romance, should give Queen of Someday a read.  I felt like the romance was the center stage of this book, with the historical aspects giving it a unique twist.  I believe that all readers could enjoy this, but it is aimed mostly toward teen girls (and even adults).  I will defiantly be checking out the rest of this series and I the year wait for the second book will be pure torture!


{Rating}


 Make sure to check out Sherry Ficklin's author website to keep up to date information about the next two books in her Stolen Empire series.  Also, check out some of her other books (which sound extremely interesting) and the book trailer for Queen of Someday!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...