Tuesday, September 16, 2014

{Review} The 100 by Kass Morgan



The 100 by Kass Morgan
Published: September 3rd, 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Series: The Hundred #1
Source: Netgalley (in exchange for an honest review)
Genre: Young Adult; Science Fiction
Pages: 323

{Goodreads}{Amazon}
In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.

{Review}
This book has the two aspects that I always seem to hate when it comes to YA books: multiple points of view and flashbacks.  However, this book was the exception to that rule.  I really enjoyed myself reading this book, and although it was really short, I felt like the multiple points of view really made it a well rounded book with great character development, heartbreaking romance, and an intriguing plot.

The writing in this book was superb and really was what helped pull off an intricate story line and emotionally damaged characters.  I loved that the book almost had two plots, one of the present and one of the past.  Almost every chapter involved a flashback, which was really well done and was separated properly from the rest of the text so readers could tell when they were in the past or the present.  Usually when reading books that have two different time points, I always favor one and get bored reading the other, but I genuinely loved both the past and present.

This book does have a lot going on in it with flashbacks and FOUR different points of view.  That’s right, readers are introduced and totally immersed into four different character’s lives and it was fabulous.  I loved that there were points of view from three characters who were on Earth and then one who was still up in the spaceship.  I also found myself being intrigued by each of the stories, however, I really loved Glass’s story most of all.

I thought all of the characters were very well developed in this book.  I would have to say this is some of the best character development that I have read in a long time.  I really felt connected to all of the characters and really could understand their emotions and motivations.  I really loved Glass’s and Bellamy’s characters the most, but Clarke and Wells were also very enjoyable.  I did not significantly love one character over the others and thought that Morgan did a very good job and making all of the character’s story lines equally entertaining and exciting.

The book did focus more on character development and only had major action at the very end of the book.  I never found myself getting bored, but readers who want to have the book extremely action packed right away will be disappointed.  I really liked that the first book really focused on letting readers get to know the characters and then really raised the stakes high at the very end of the book.  I think that the second book in this series will be a lot more action packed, especially considering how this book left off.  It does leave on a HUGE cliffhanger and I was absolutely shocked!  This book did surprise me quite a few times and kept me guessing to the very end.

This book does also have enjoyable romances that center around Glass and Luke, as well as Clarke and Wells.  I did enjoy Glass’s and Luke’s romance a smidge more because I do have a weakness for forbidden romance, but both were worth rooting for.  I also liked that although it does have a lot of romance in it, it also focuses on the relationship between Bellamy and his sister, Octavia.

Overall, I would defiantly recommend this book to everyone!  It was really great and had me captivated from the first sentence.  Any readers who are scared of the four different points of view and flashbacks should defiantly give this book a shot because it was written so perfectly that those qualities only make the book better.  I have already picked up the second book in the series, Day 21, and am planning on reading it this month as well because I cannot wait to find out what happens!

{Rating}

Added bonus, I absolutely loved the first line in this book and think it grabs readers right away.

The door slide open, and Clarke knew it was time to die. -2%

Also, this book has also been adapted into a TV show on the CW!  I have watched the first season, which I watched before reading this book.  I have posted my review of the TV show (it’s awesome!), as well as comparing it to the book.  Click here if you would like to check it out.  Also make sure to check out the trailer for the TV show, it really gives a feel for the book as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...