Tuesday, September 23, 2014

{Review} The Maze Runner by James Dashner



The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Published: October 6th, 2009 by Delacorte Press
Series: The Maze Runner #1
Source: Bought Book
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Dystopia
Pages: 374
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run

{Review}
When I read the back cover of The Maze Runner, I instantly knew that I needed to read the book.  It sounded exciting, mysterious, and awesome…and the book was all that and more.  I really had a great time reading this book because it really made me think and theorize what was happening and going to happen within the maze.  I don’t think that this book is for everyone, but I think a lot of people would enjoy it.

I really liked Dashner’s writing style.  It was pretty simplistic, but somehow was still detailed enough that I could imagine what the Glade looked like, as well feel the fear and confusion that the characters were experiencing.  Also, Dashner always seemed to end each chapter on a cliffhanger, making me want to continue reading late into the night to see if any more clues would be divulged.  I felt like the pacing in this book was really good and kept me up reading for just a little bit more.  

The mystery aspect of this plot was really what kept me captivated in this book.  I always thought that I was on the verge of a breakthrough in discovering what was going on, but Dashner always kept clues just out of reach so I was left in the dark.  I think some people might find that annoying because readers really don’t know what is going on in the majority of the book and the answers are slowly revealed as the main character, Thomas, discovers them.  I have to admit that I am usually better at guessing mysteries in books, but I had NO idea about how this book was going to end.

I don’t read a lot of books where the main protagonist is male, so it was really refreshing reading from Thomas’s point of view.  I also really liked Chuck and the other boys from the Glade.  I thought the character development was great considering not a lot of background information could be given about the characters.  I also really liked Teresa’s sassy attitude and am looking forward to learning more about the connection she has with Thomas.  I think Dashner really provided a lot of characters for readers to connect to and root for.

The ending of this book was crazy!  It was really fast paced and had tons of action.  However, the ending is what made this book a 4 star instead of a 5 star book for me.  The ending was kind of strange and I was not entirely blow away like I thought I would be.  There were a lot of questions left unanswered and although I am interested in reading the second book, I wish that The Maze Runner would have been a stand alone.  I think that after all the confusion and questions, it would have been nice to have it wrap up instead of leaving tons more questions and heading into another book.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book and will continue on with the series to see if all of my questions will be answered.  I would recommend this book to any reader who is interested in a fast paced, mysterious book full of adventure.   

 {Rating}
 
Make sure to check out the trailer for the movie, as well as the other books that are in The Maze Runner series. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...