Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books That Were Hard For Me To Read



This is a weekly meme created by Broke and Bookish.  Every week there will be a new subject to create a top 10 list of.

This week’s subject:
Top Ten Books That Were Hard For Me To Read

1.)    Civilization and Its Discontents by Sigmund Freud
I had to read this book for school and I absolutely hated it.  Although it was really short, I found it boring and full of a lot of ideas that were pretty ridiculous.  I thought the book bounced from topic to topic with no rhyme or reason.


2.) The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
I had to read this book in Jr. High for school and I did not like it.  I liked reading fantasy books at this age, so this book was really different for me.  I really want to give this book another chance because I think the main reason why I did not like this book was because I was forced to read it.  I am planning on picking it up again and giving it another shot, but it was a tough book for me to finish when I was younger.


3.)   Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
So the reason why this book was so hard to finish was because I had morning sickness while reading it.  I really wanted to read it and then go to the movie, but although I did finish this book, I was too sick to even go to see the movie in theaters.  Forcing myself to read this book while suffering from morning sickness was a bad idea because then I associated reading with being sick and every time I thought about reading, it would make me sick.


4.)   Divergent by Veronica Roth
I was in a Hunger Games book hangover and was looking for a book to fix my depression, so I picked up Divergent because it was a dystopian.  I constantly compared this book with the Hunger Games and it made me really dislike it.  I really want to read this book again without comparing it to other books.



5.)  Sookie Stackhouse Books 1,2 &3 by Charlaine Harris
When I heard that True Blood was going to become a TV show, I had to read the books.  I loved movie adaptations and I thought it would be awesome to watch the episodes each week, but I did not like the books.  I read the first three and I really had to push through all of them because I just did not like them.  I even kept buying the books, thinking if I kept reading I would eventually like them. 



6.)    If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones

I read this book because it was going to be made into a TV series on Starz.  I really did not like this book because I found the steamy scenes to be over the top and some aspects had actually grossed me out.  I am not a prude, but the steamy scenes in this book totally ruined it for me.  Also, I felt like this book was supposed to make women swoon over a guy who clearly was bipolar and treated the main character very disrespectfully.  I really wish that books would not glamorize unhealthy relationships because young readers (although young readers should most defiantly not read this book) might think that is what relationships should be like.

 
7.)   Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Yes, I had a hard time reading a Harry Potter book.  I read all the Harry Potter books as they were released.  I pre-ordered all the books and picked them up the second the book store opened.  I eventually burnt out of reading the books…I guess…that is the only reason I could come up with.  I was young and was starting to get involved in other activities and reading was put on the back burner.  I tried to read this book three times and did not get past 1/3 of it, but it was most defiantly not a problem with the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...