Thursday, October 16, 2014

Bookish Talk {Why I read YA books being an Adult}



 Why I read YA books being an Adult

Intriguing Plots
I have read Young Adult, New Adult, and Adult books and by far I find more interesting plots in YA literature than I do with any other.  YA books keep my attention more and make me more excited to pick the book back up. 

Great Writing
I believe that YA has just as good writing as adult books.  I think the only difference from YA and adult books are the ages of the protagonist and the subject matter.  YA books can’t include some more explicit topics, but they still cover plenty of hard issues. 


Relatable Characters
Having been a teen once, I feel like I can relate to YA characters better and put myself in their shoes.  It is also somewhat nostalgic reading about teens struggles with boys, high school, and parents.

Beautiful Covers
I don’t know about you, but I am much more drawn to YA book covers than I am to adult ones.  I feel like publishers use bright colors, beautiful images, and cute fonts on their covers more often than seen on adult book covers.


Less Selection
That’s right, having less book choices is a plus for me.  When going into a book store, the YA section is extremely small compared to the adult section.  I can casually browse the YA section without feeling overwhelmed, but I would have to spend HOURS in the adult section if I just wanted to see if anything caught my eye.

Fast Reads
I can read YA books really fast.  This is a plus for me because I don’t have a lot of extra time to dedicate to reading books.  I like being able to speed through a book, so I can read more books in one month.


Book Buzz
I hear a lot more about YA books than I do about adult ones.  This could be because I pay more attention to YA book buzz because I am interested in it, but I just don’t see adult books being advertised as much as YA books are.

Movie Adaptations
I know that adult books are also adapted into movies, but it just seems like there is a HUGE surge in adapting YA books.  I honestly think it is because teens go to the movies more often and there are more adults reading YA.  I love reading a book and then going to the movie.


Lighter Topics
Like I said above, I don’t have a lot of time to dedicate to reading so I like to enjoy what books I pick up.  I do enjoy books that have darker themes, but I like to keep those to a minimum.  I much prefer to read books that are relaxing and make me forget about normal life.

Fandoms
 I know there are fandoms in adult literature (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, ect), but I have never connected with those as much as I have with YA fandoms.  Twilight, Hunger Games, The Mortal Instruments, and so SO many more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...