Sunday, October 26, 2014

{Reveiw} The Wicked We Have Done by Sarah Harian



The Wicked We Have Done by Sarah Harian
Published: March 19th, 2014 by Penguin/InterMix Books
Series: Chaos Theory #1
Source: Purchased
Genre: NA, Dystopian, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Pages: 272

{Goodreads}{Amazon}
Evalyn Ibarra never expected to be an accused killer and experimental prison test subject. A year ago, she was a normal college student. Now she’s been sentenced to a month in the compass room—an advanced prison obstacle course designed by the government to execute justice.

If she survives, the world will know she’s innocent.

Locked up with nine notorious and potentially psychotic criminals, Evalyn must fight the prison and dismantle her past to stay alive. But the system prized for accuracy appears to be killing at random.

She doesn’t plan on making friends.

She doesn’t plan on falling in love, either.

{Review}
I have recently fallen in love with New Adult books, but I have only read contemporary ones and wanted to try out a different genre.  When I read the synopsis of this book, I knew that I needed to read this book and I am happy to say that it was fantastic!  It had everything: action, mystery, suspense, and romance.  I would defiantly describe this book as an adult version of the Hunger Games with a little bit of Minority Report mixed in.  This book review was so hard for me to write because this book was not the greatest piece of literature ever written, but I really enjoyed reading it and was able to look past problems that other readers may find with it.

The plot of this book is what really made me love this book.  The whole idea of the Compass Room, which is an experimental test to evaluate criminal’s morality, was really interesting.  The Compass Room really reminded me a lot of the “test” that was in The Hunger Games, but was a lot more gruesome.  This book is moderately gory, describing horrible deaths and murders in detail.  I do have to say that the story does have some pretty obvious plot holes involving how the Compass Room really works, but I believe that more details will be learned in the second novel.  I don’t feel like the plot was created flawlessly, but I think I loved this book so much because I just accepted what was being presented without analyzing it deeply.      

This book is told from Evalyn’s point-of-view and alternates from the present (inside the Compass Room) to the past (before Evalyn committed her crime).  I really enjoyed that it switched from past to present because it was able to slowly unfold the mystery surrounding Evalyn’s crime.  However, when the details of her crime finally came to light, I was not as shocked as I thought I would be.  I also feel uncertain about how the validity of her crime played out, but I will not go into detail because I don’t want to give away some major spoilers.

I was really surprised about how I felt about the characters in this book.  With a book that is full of criminals that have committed some pretty heinous crimes, it would seem easy to hate these characters, but I really fell in love with them…well, some of them.  I felt like the character development in this book was really great.  I could see how each character opened up and evolved as the story progressed.  I liked Evalyn as the main character, but I have to say that Valarie was my favorite character.  I loved her don’t-take-crap attitude and thought she was such a kick-ass character.  The other supporting characters were also really great and I really enjoyed seeing them all band together.  One thing I have to say concerning the characters is, that although their personalities did differ quite a bit, they were very stereotypical. 

I do think some people will have some issues with the romance in this book because I would classify it as insta-love.  However, considering the circumstances that these characters were placed in, I can overlook that.  I know that in life or death situations, people can create a very strong bond very quickly.  I did find that aspect somewhat realistic because all of these characters relied on one another to survive and bonded over the horrendous conditions they had to endure.  Although this book has two romances (both insta-love), I was really invested in both of them.  I thought that the steamy scenes were done tastefully and I could see the chemistry between the characters.

So, although I have to admit that the similarities to The Hunger Games are pretty obvious, I still think it was original enough to enjoy.  I don’t think that this book was done flawlessly, but I consider it a guilty pleasure read and enjoyed it for what it was.  I will warn readers that it does contain sex, profanity, and gore, so just be aware that you will not like this book if any of those bother you.  I am most defiantly going to read the second book, which I have already bought, but I am a little worried where the story is headed from here.  Overall, I don’t think this book is for everyone, but I absolutely loved it! 

 {Rating}


 Check out the sequel in this series, A Vault of Sins.  As well as Our Broken Sky, which is a novella about my favorite character from this book, Valarie.
 

Trailer For The Wicked We Have Done

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...