Sunday, October 12, 2014

{Review} Mr. .44 Magnum by Michael Anthony



Mr. .44 Magnum by Michael Anthony
Published: August 31st, 2014 by Amazon Digital Service
Series: DeadEarth Episode 1
Source: Netgalley (in exchange for an honest review)
Genre: New Adult, Post Apocalyptic
Pages: 48

{Goodreads}{Amazon}
It starts in the middle of spring with a patch of dead grass. A month and a half later, the last leaf in the world lets go of a starving branch and falls to its grave.

The Earth is dead.

As the daughter of a Navy SEAL and survivalist, seventeen-year-old Shade and her sisters Rikka and Lou have more than enough food, water, and bullets to survive whatever the world can throw at them. With their father out fighting to maintain order throughout the States, the girls are determined to hold down the fort until he returns. But when Shade and Rikka’s eyes change color, and Lou suddenly vanishes, leaving behind only an X on a map, they realize staying home is no longer an option.

Locked, loaded, and on a mission to find Lou, they step out into a dead world filled with marauders, cannibals, and hungry wolves. But as they venture closer to the location marked on the map, they discover that their greatest threat isn't Eaters or starvation, but each other.

{Review}
I read this book in half an hour, which was pretty easy seeing as it is only 48 pages, but it also was really intriguing.  I had no idea what I was heading into when I picked up this book and thought that I would give it a try because it was so short so if it was horrible, the pain would not last long, but I was pleasantly surprised! 

I thought the writing in this book was excellent.  There were a few grammar mistakes, but nothing that made me cringe (I only noticed two).  I thought that Anthony’s writing style was very detailed and I was able to easily picture the scene that he was laying before me.  I love the idea of the Earth dying and total chaos erupting, but little of that is really seen (in the first installment anyways).  This book really sets up the next installment of this series, with only describing what awaits in the outside world, it really creates a lot of mystery and intrigue.      

I am super surprised at how attached I became to the main characters with the book being so short.  I really liked Shade, Rikka, and Lou.  I connected the most with Shade and Lou, but I kind of like how badass Rikka is, even though she is scary at times too.  Not a lot is learned about their father, other than he pushes his girls to an extreme to be able to survive.  I am interested in the other characters as well and really hope I get to learn more about them in the next installments.

I would say that the mystery in this book is great!  I read the synopsis of this book before I requested it from Netgalley and it sounded interesting, but I had forgotten what it was about when I picked it up and am really glad that I knew little while reading it.  I wish the last paragraph would have been left off or would have been changed a little because I think it gives too much away about what the book is about.  I wish readers would go in not knowing the majority of the mysteries about to unfold, but with that being said, there were still a lot of twists and turns to enjoy. 

I will most defiantly be picking up the next installment of this series, but I was unable to find a lot of information about when the next one will be released.  It says on Goodreads that this is a serialized novel, which I am not particularly fond of.  That is the reason that I rated this book 4 stars instead of 5.  I hate when books are dragged out and only released in small portions.  However, this book was really entertaining and I do plan on reading the rest of them. 

{Rating}




Make sure to check out DeadEarth on Amazon for only .99!  Also check out Anthony’s website here to stay up to date on the newest installments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...