Sunday, October 5, 2014

{Review} Stormfront by K.R. Conway



Stormfront by K.R. Conway
Published: August 18th, 2014 by K.R. Conway
Series: Undertow #2
Source: Netgalley (in exchange for an honest review)
Genre: YA, Paranormal Fantasy
Pages: 428

{Goodreads}{Amazon}
Not long ago Eila Walker’s choices were limited: death by a bullet to the head, or at the hands of her beloved bodyguard, Raef. Now, five weeks after Raef triggered her power and she nearly leveled a historic mansion, Eila is dealing with the fall-out of her decisions. While she doesn’t remember dying in the arms of the soul thief who loves her, she knows that Raef remembers everything about the night he nearly killed her.

Now on the mend and attempting to keep one step ahead of the FBI, Eila and her team of misfits are desperate for a bit of normal. Eila is trying to navigate high school, while her BFF Ana is cautiously hanging with past-boyfriend and soul thief, Kian. Shape-shifter, MJ, is trying not to piss off his mother, while Raef is coping with his fears that Eila will never be safe.

But just as “normal” seems within their grasp, a powerfully built newcomer arrives. Raef knows the scarred man as a Blacklist Dealer – a soul thief, who peddles the names of humans who deserve to die. Eila, however, knows him as the protective hunter from the woods, who she nicknames Thor. Before long, Raef and Eila realize they’ve met the same killer, and he has one hell of a story to tell the five friends . . . if Raef doesn’t murder him first.

{Review}
I absolutely loved the first book, Undertow, but was a little disappointed with the second installment of this series.  I was so torn with how I should rate this book because the first half of the story was pretty slow and full of unimportant facts that did not aid in furthering the story or developing the characters.  However, I fell in love with the second half of the book and could not put it down.  I wish that the first half would have been made shorter and Conway would have eliminated some useless scenes, but there was still a lot that made this a very enjoyable read. 

Conway’s writing was just as brilliant as it was in the first book.  The descriptions were great and really allowed readers to visualize the setting.  The fight scenes were also very well written and I found myself holding my breath while reading them.  I liked that the second book was in dual points of view, with both Raef and Eila voices unfolding the story.  I was impressed that I was able to easily tell whose perspective I was reading from, even when I would stop in the middle of a chapter and pick it up the next day.

The world building in this series is absolutely amazing!  It is so detailed and intricate, which can be confusing at times, but is still really amazing.  I loved learning more about the background of the Mortis and the Lunaterra, as well as being introduced to new, unique paranormal gifts.  I was somewhat worried when I started the second book because it had been a couple of months since I had finished the first and was worried that I had forgot a lot about the world Conway had created, but thankfully, she was able to refresh readers memories by adding in important details from the first book that readers may have forgotten.

I love Eila as the main character.  She is very brave and strong, but still had many vulnerabilities that make her relatable.  I also really love Ana and her spunky attitude.  I was disappointed that her gift was not really expanded that much from the first book, but I am hopeful that it will be more detailed in the third book.  I liked Kian more than I did from the first book and I love his snarky comebacks to Ana.  I think that the only disappointment I had with the characters was Raef.  From the first book, he was majorly swoon worthy and defiantly book boyfriend material, but in the first half of the book, he was controlling.  I do like when boy characters in books are protective, but Raef was treading on a very thin line between love and obsession.  However, his character turned back into his swoon worthy self at the halfway mark and I fell in love with him again.

I also really enjoyed the romance in this book.  I thought that the chemistry between Eila and Raef was really great.  I loved seeing their characters grow and their love for one another become deeper.  I absolutely love the relationship between Kian and Ana.  It is so complicated, deep, and full of mystery.  I cannot wait for the novella that explains more about their relationship! 

Overall, I will most defiantly be picking up the third book in this series!  I even think I will be picking up the novellas that focus on other characters in the book, which I normally don’t do.  Even though the first half of the book did drag a little, the rest of the book was full of twists and turns that I did not see coming.  The ending of this book left off on a huge cliffhanger that I did not see coming and I am very excited for the third book, True North, to come out!

 {Rating}

Check out the novella featuring Kian and Ana called Cruel Summer, as well as upcoming information about the third book, True North.  Make sure to check out the first book on Goodreads if you have yet to have started this awesome series by clicking the picture below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...