Tuesday, February 17, 2015

{Top Ten Tuesday} Top Ten Book Problems I Have



 This is a weekly meme created by Broke and Bookish.  Every week there will be a new subject to create a top 10 list of.

This week’s subject:
Top Ten Book Problems I Have

1.)    Buying Thrift Store Books
  I don’t really have a problem buying too many books at full price, but when I see a book that looks interesting that is cheap, I have a problem passing it up.  I constantly go to thrift stores and the majority of my book collection is made up of used books, but I am finding that I will buy books that I will probably never read just because of the price.  I have even bought books I already own because the price is so good.  I am now trying to only visit thrift stores once a month so that it will reduce the amount of books I buy.

2.)                      Requesting Netgalley Books
I think that this is probably a very common problem among book bloggers.  I feel such a rush when I get approved for a Netgalley book, but it can lead to some problems.  I usually request too many books (thinking I will be denied a lot of them since I am a fairly new book blogger) and then occasionally I get approved for them and am left with a lot of books I need to read by a deadline.    

3.) Not Expanding My Reading Horizons
I tend to get obsessed over certain genres if I read a book I really enjoy.  Last year I found a love for historical fiction and new adult and found myself only wanting to read those books.  I need to try branching out and be a more well-rounded reader.

4.)                      Pressured To Read
Since I started my blog, I do feel pressured to read and read fast.  I wish that sometimes I can slow down and saver the books that I am really enjoying.  This year, I really want to be able to read what I want and to take off the pressure, which is why I lowered my Goodreads reading goal to only 35 books.

5.)                       No DNF
Another problem I have come across after starting my book blog is the need to finish every book, even if I don’t enjoy it.  It is really hard to push through books I dislike and it can even push me into a reading slump.  I need to find a happy medium because I do understand that it is important to read books that I dislike to understand what I like and dislike in books, but understand that I don't need to finish every book that I start.   

6.)                      Not Finishing Series
I have so many series that I have started and really enjoyed, but for some reason, never continued or finished the series.  I really want to focus on finishing all the series I start to read, especially trilogies.  The only series I finished last year was The Selection series by Kiera Cass (which doesn't really count since it was announced more books are going to be in the series). 

7.)                       Forgetting Previous Books
With reading so many books back to back, it is easy to forget about what happened in the previous books.  I do not enjoy re-reading books, which does play a part in why I don’t finish series, so I give up on the series because I cannot remembered what happened in the previous books.  I have not finished the Divergent series by Veronica Roth because I can hardly remember the first book, but lucky for me, there is a movie to help jog my memory.

8.)                        Netflix/Hulu
The number one thing that derails my reading goals is Netflix and Hulu.   I love binge watching TV shows and movies.  After working all day, sometimes sitting in front of the TV seems so much more appealing than reading.  I have cut a lot of the shows I was watching to just the ones that I absolutely love, which is still a lot, but it does leave me with time to read.  I have also found that I can watch TV while blogging, so I don’t feel as guilty when I put reading on the back burner.

9.)                       Forgoing Bigger Books
Last year I never picked up longer books because I was afraid that I would not be able to get a review a week up or complete my Goodreads reading goal.  I want to be able to read whatever books I feel like at that moment without feeling guilty.  I feel like I have forgotten that reading is for fun, it is not a job.

10.)                    Classic Books
I desperately want to read some classic books, particularly Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, but am afraid it will be really dense and possibly hard for me to understand.  I really wish I would have taken some English courses in college so that I would be able to understand the time the book takes place in and the underlying meaning to things I may miss out on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...