Sunday, May 24, 2015

{Review} The Devil You Know by Trish Doller



The Devil You Know by Trish Doller
Published: June 2nd, 2015 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Series: Standalone
Source: Netgalley (in exchange for an honest review)
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Thriller, Mystery, Romance
Pages: 256

{Goodreads}{Amazon}
Eighteen-year-old Arcadia wants adventure.  Living in a tiny Florida town with her dad and four-year-old brother, Cadie spends most of her time working, going to school, and taking care of her family.  So when she meets two handsome cousins at a campfire party, she finally has a chance for fun.  They invite her and friend to join them on a road trip, and it's just the risk she's been craving-the opportunity to escape.  But what starts out as a fun, sexy journey quickly becomes dangerous when she discovers that one of them is not at all who he claims to be. One of them has deadly intentions.

{Review}
When I read they synopsis of this book, I knew that I HAD to read it.  I love mystery/thriller books, but I have not read that many in YA and wanted to give it a shot.  Plus, that cover is beautiful!    

I devoured this book in one sitting! The pacing in this book was perfect. It allowed for great character development, but was fast paced enough to keep me on the edge of my seat.  The writing was also very captivating and gripping.  I really want to get my hands on some other books written by Trish Doller to see if they suck me in just as strong as this one did. 

I really loved that this book was a road trip book and full of adventure.  This would be a great book to read during summer!  I would say the only problem I had with this book was the mystery.  The entire time I was hoping that the big reveal would totally blow away all of my guesses, but unfortunately, this book was very stereotypical.  The mystery is easily guessed and then the reasons behind the mystery are pretty ridiculous.  However, I felt like the mystery was not the driving force of the story so I felt the book was still very good.

I really like the main character, Caty.  As a small town girl myself, I defiantly related to her want to get out of her tiny town and experience adventure.  I think that a lot of people will be able to relate to Caty because she was a down-to-Earth, average teenage girl.  I also really adored her relationship with Noah.  I felt the chemistry between the two characters and their romance seemed very genuine.  It surprisingly did not feel rushed for being such a fast-paced book. 

Overall, I did really like this book.  Even though the mystery was easily guessed, I feel like readers who enjoy contemporary reads would really enjoy this.  I feel like the relationship between Caty and Noah is what really drove this story forward and the mystery was in the background of the book.  I also think this book would be a really fun movie.  It really felt reminiscent of a 90’s movie that I would have watched as a teenager.         

 {Rating}





Here are more of Trish Doller's books! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...