Sunday, May 8, 2016

{Book Review} The Other Side of Gravity by Shelly Crane



The Other Side of Gravity by Shelly Crane
Published: March 15th, 2016 by Kiss Me Productions, LLC
Series: Oxygen #1
Source: Netgalley (exchanged for an honest review)
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Romance
Pages: 249
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

My name is Maxton and I’m a trader.

I live on a soulless planet where gravity, oxygen, and everything else are sold to the highest bidder on the black market. People are sold on the black market, too. You have to work really hard not to become one of those people. Pay your taxes, keep your friends and family close, and more than anything else—don’t get caught by the Militia. But all the rules changed for me the day I found her.

My name is Sophelia and I’m a stowaway.

I’ve been a slave for almost as long as I can remember. Waiting for the one day, one second, for my proprietor to turn his head so I could run and never look back. Now I'm on the run. And on a planet where no one is on your side and people would turn you in for a good meal or a piece of a silver, being on the run on Landu is the last place you want to be. Until he found me.

I won't survive without him.

I can't breathe without her.

{Review}
This was probably the most torn I have ever been about a book rating before.  There were some aspects that I absolutely loved about this book, but there were other things that just kept dragging the story down.  The romance and the characters were superb and engrossing, but the world building was really lacking.  I think that there were enough things about this book that I really liked that I plan on picking up the next book.

First off, I have to say that the writing in this book was really great.  I found some poetic sentences that I highlighted to refer to later, which I rarely ever do.  I also thought the pacing was spot on, but I did have some issues with the flow of the story.  All of the different scenes were captivating, but the transitions between them really lacked.  Sometimes I even had a hard time understanding how we got from one point to another because it was not explained with enough detail.  I also had a really hard time picturing what the world looked like.  I felt like the beginning of the book was not descriptive enough.  My picture of the world would constantly shift because new information would be introduced too late in the story.  Because of this, I also thought the world building needed to be better.  I wish that Crane would have spent more time setting up the world so that the story would have had a bigger impact.  However, I am still intrigued with this world and would love to learn more about it.  I just hope that the second book will expand my understanding to this society and world. 

I did enjoy the characters, but I did have some problems with a few.  I liked Sophelia, but her moods changed too often.  It felt like one minute she was weak and helpless and then the next she was fierce.  It felt like I was reading two completely different characters.  I also had mixed feelings about the twins.  They were annoying at times and I never really found their banter funny.  I think that they could grow on my as the story progresses, but in this first installment, I found myself rolling my eyes at their dialogue.  I do have to say that I loved Maxton!  He was amazing and I could not get enough reading from his point of view.  His inner dialogue and the way he felt for Sophelia was captivating.  I really wished I loved the other aspects of this book as much as I loved Maxton and the romance so I could have rated it higher.

The romance in this book was amazing!  I loved all of the scenes between Sophelia and Maxton, although their lack of communication was a little too much.  I like a little conflict, but it seemed like they were constantly questioning the others intentions without it ever being resolved.  The romance in this book really is what pushed this book to be a 3 star read rather than a 2 star. 

Overall, I would say I am on the fence about recommending this book.  If you like YA romance, I would say to give this book a read.  However, advanced sci-fi readers will really find the world building in this book lacking.  This might be a good book for readers who are interested in sci-fi, but don’t want intricate world building.  I am planning on picking up Crane’s other books because I really enjoyed the writing and romance. 

{Rating}
 

What is life without scars?  Scars come in all forms and we all have them, some deeper than others, some more than others, some harsher than others.  Your scars are yours, Soph, and you earned them.”-79%

Because your soul, on this soulless planet, sticks our like one star in a starless sky.  And it’s beautiful.”-46%

Also check out Crane’s other books below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...