Sunday, June 12, 2016

{Book Review} Promised by Caragh M. O'Brien



Promised by Caragh M. O’Brien
Published: October 2, 2013 by Roaring Brook Press
Series: Birthmarked #3
Source: Bought
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Romance
Pages: 293
{Goodreads}

After defying the ruthless Enclave, surviving the wasteland, and overthrowing Sylum, Gaia Stone now faces her greatest challenge yet--to lead the people of Sylum back to the Enclave and persuade the Protectorat to grant them refuge. But in Gaia's absence, the Enclave has become even more ruthless, picking girls from outside the wall to serve in an experimental baby factory. Babies with the right genes are now a priceless commodity with the potential to reshape life inside the wall and redefine humanity. The key to it all comes back to one fearless, young midwife. When negotiations devolve into terrorist threats, Gaia finds herself at the crux of an insupportable decision.

As a leader, a woman, and an idealist in love, Gaia must decide if she can sacrifice what--or whom--she values most.

{Review}
This book was a satisfying ending to this series, but it was disappointing overall.  I did not think that this book was able to combine the first two books into a coherent series.  It almost felt like this series should have only consisted of the first and third book.  However, all the problems I had with this series, I still got enjoyment from reading it.  I always found it interesting and was always intrigued with where the plot was heading.

I thought the writing was just as great as the first two books and the pacing was steady.  I still liked the characters in this book, but Gaia became annoying in this book.  I have NO IDEA why the heck she thought she could walk back into the Enclave and they would just let them live there and provide water to them.  I also don’t know why she would want to bring more people into the Enclave that would be subjected to the torture she experienced before.  I just could not come to grips with that decisions so I almost was saying, “I told you so!” every time she was subjected to new torture from the Enclave.

I thought the romance did become better in this third installment.  I thought Leon was caring and sincere.  I also liked that Gaia still questioned her feelings for Will and Peter even after she made her decision.  It made it feel realistic, but even though she questioned her feelings, she never wavered from the love she felt for Leon.

I will say that this series ended with a bang!  The last 25% of this book was really fantastic and heart-breaking.  I wish that I would have liked Gaia more than I did by the end of this series because I would have felt more sympathy for her, but I still was shocked and saddened for her.  I liked that although this book wrapped up everything, not everyone got a completely happy ending.  Things were lost by everyone and they were left struggling to pick up the pieces and move on.

Overall, I would recommend readers to read the final book of the Birthmarked series if you have already read the first two books.  The ending is defiantly worth it!  I think that the first part of the book is a struggle to get through, but the ending is worth it.
 
{Rating}




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...