Sunday, July 17, 2016

{Book Review} The Deal by Elle Kennedy



The Deal by Elle Kennedy
Published: February 24, 2015 by Elle Kennedy
Series: Off-Campus #1
Source: Bought
Genre: NA, Romance, Contemporary  
Pages: 342
{Goodreads}

She's about to make a deal with the college bad boy...

Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she's carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush's attention, she'll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice...even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date.

...and it's going to be oh so good

All Garrett Graham has ever wanted is to play professional hockey after graduation, but his plummeting GPA is threatening everything he's worked so hard for. If helping a sarcastic brunette make another guy jealous will help him secure his position on the team, he's all for it. But when one unexpected kiss leads to the wildest sex of both their lives, it doesn't take long for Garrett to realize that pretend isn't going to cut it. Now he just has to convince Hannah that the man she wants looks a lot like him.

{Review}
This book was AMAZING!  It has most defiantly gained a spot on my top 5 favorite NA books…it was that good!  I was a little skeptical when I picked up this book because that cover is pretty bad, but the glowing reviews on Goodreads made me give it a shot and I am so glad I did.  This book had it all, characters with depth, a beautiful story, amazing love, great friendships, and so many feels!

I really liked the writing in this book.  It was strong, funny and addictive.  I felt like I was watch a movie in my head while reading this.  Everything was described so well.  The pacing of the story was great too.  I never once found myself bored while reading this, even in the quiet moments of the book.  I will have to say that it was a little shocking when I first started reading this book because the sexual scenarios start out right away.  There is a lot of cursing and sexual references and scenes.  I would not recommend this book for new NA readers because it throws readers right into the deep end.

What really made this book special were all the characters.  I felt like they were really relatable, funny and lovable.  I am so excited that there are other books in this series focusing on Garrett’s friends!  I really liked Hannah as the main protagonist.  She was spunky and really relatable.  I also really liked the decisions Hannah made.  I feel like that in contemporary romance books there is a specific formula that revolves around miscommunication and bad decisions driving the plot forward.  There were so many times I thought that this book was going to fall into that stereotype, but thankfully it didn’t.  I never felt like Hannah made decisions that were unbelievable or annoying.  I also LOVED Garrett!  He was a little abrasive at first, but then he just grew on me.  He is sweet, kind, protective, smart, genuine, swoon-worthy…and that is only naming a few!  All of the secondary characters were great and added a lot of heart to the story.

The romance in this book was perfect.  Hannah and Garrett started out as friends and then slowly feelings started to come in.  It was sweet to see Garrett protect and break Hannah’s walls down.  I also really liked that Hannah was able to get Garrett to open up about his past and help him past it.  There banter was superb and I found myself laughing out loud all the time while reading this.  This book most defiantly brought on all of the feels!  I laughed, I cried and I fell in love with these two characters!

Overall, I LOVED THIS BOOK!  I am planning on picking up the rest of the series because I cannot wait to read Logan’s story.  All of the summary’s of the other books sound so good, but the covers are all hideous so I will be buying these on my kindle.  I would recommend this book to readers that have read and enjoyed the NA genre before because of the detailed sexual situations and the abundance of cursing.   


{Rating}


Check out the other books in the Off-Campus series! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...