Sunday, July 10, 2016

{Book Review} The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse



The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse
Published: July 10, 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Series: The Forsaken #1
Source: Own
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Mystery
Pages: 375
{Goodreads}

As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up.

The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway.

{Review}
This book had EVERYTHING going for it.  It was a unique plot, intriguing mystery and a beautiful cover, BUT it fell flat.  I think that this might have been one of my most disappointing reads EVER!  I had such high hopes…I even bought the second book thinking that I would love it.  I considered reading the second book to this series to see if it could redeem itself, but my over whelming TBR pile and the not so pleasant Goodreads reviews, have convinced me that I am stopping at book one.

This book had three big down falls…the writing, the characters and the romance.  The writing was flat and suffered from the author telling the readers instead of showing.  Sometimes it got so annoying, I found myself rolling my eyes.  However, the more of the book I read, the less the writing seemed to annoy me.  I think that pacing of the book was great.  It was full of action and suspense, so I never really found myself bored. 

The characters in this book were really one dimensional.  They all lacked personality and the dialogue always seemed a bit off.  I never could really imagine them as real, so when tragic event happened, I never felt any sadness.  The only character in this book that I was somewhat interested in was David.  The romance was really bad.  It was insta-love and it only got worse from there.  There was absolutely no connection between Alenna or Liam.  I also had a problem with the friendship between Alenna and Gadya.  It did not seem genuine and fake.
I think the two things this book had going for it was the plot and mystery.  I thought that the plot was really original.  I was always intrigued with what was going to happen next.  However, that was not enough to save this book for me.

Overall, I would not recommend this book for seasoned readers.  I think that beginning readers or young readers might be able to enjoy this book.  I have not decided if I am going to keep these books since the covers are AMAZING, but I won’t be reading them. 


{Rating}




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...