Sunday, July 3, 2016

{Book Review} Hopeless by Colleen Hoover



Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
Published: December 19, 2012
Series: Hopeless #1
Source: Bought
Genre: NA, Romance, Mystery
Pages: 410
{Goodreads}

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

{Review}
WOW!  I did not even read the synopsis of this book when I started reading it and I am sure glad that I didn’t.  This book blew me away.  It was such an emotions rollercoaster of emotions.  This book has just made me add Colleen Hoover to my auto-buy authors list and I plan on picking up more of her books this summer.  If you like contemporary romance, PICK UP THIS BOOK!

I can’t believe this is one of Hoover’s early books!  The writing was great, poetic and hypnotic.   I could not put this book down and I found myself staying up late reading and thinking about it during the day when I couldn’t read it.  I thought the pacing was great, but the beginning is a little slower to set up for the last half of the book.  I was so shocked by the twists and turns from this book!  I will say that this book could be a trigger for readers who have experienced abuse.  I don’t want to specify much more because of spoilers, but this book focuses on several difficult topics that will tear your heart out over and over.

The characters in this book are great!  It did mostly focus on Dean and Sky, with the secondary characters not getting as much development as I would have wished.  However, the character development of Dean and Sky was amazing!  They grew so much and overcame their traumatic pasts.  I am interested in reading Loosing Hope to learn more about Dean, but I will probably wait until next year so that the story is not so fresh in my mind.

The love story is amazing and I could not get enough!  I liked how there were cute little relationship quirks between them that made their relationship more special and unique.  I also loved that their relationship grew slowly and then flourished into something beautiful.  I liked the other relationships in this book, such as the one between Sky and her mother, Karen.  I wish that it would have been a little more developed, but I still loved reading about how much Karen loved Sky.

I was blown away by the twists and turns that happened in this book.  I thought some of it was slightly predictable, but the majority of it was completely out of left field!  I really enjoyed the end of this book!  It was heart-breakingly beautiful.  

Overall, I would recommend this book to readers who like reading NA contemporary books that have deep, emotional plots.  But be prepared to stay up all night reading this and keep some tissues close.


{Rating}



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...