Sunday, July 31, 2016

{Book Review} The Infinate Sea by Rick Yancey



The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey
Published: September 16, 2014 by Putnam Juvenile
Series: The 5th Wave #2
Source: Library
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Apocalyptic
Pages: 320
{Goodreads}

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

{Review}
I waited a long time before I picked up this book, maybe a little too long.  I had heard numerous reviews stating that this second book was not as good as the first.  I was really scared of not loving this book as much as the first, and unfortunately, I didn’t.  I am not exactly sure why, other than it did not feel like a lot happened in it, although there were a lot of twists I did not see coming.

Yancey’s writing was just as great as in the first book, however, this book did go a lot slower than the first.  I felt like the first book grabbed readers at page one and never let go.  I found this book slow until about the last 25% of the book.  I thought that the twists in this book were really great and were really unexpected.

I think that I had a hard time re-connecting with these characters because of the lapse in reading time.  I think that if I would have picked this book up straight after finishing The 5th Wave, I would have enjoyed it better.  I had forgotten some of the characters and it took me a long time to get attached to them again.  I loved Cassie in the first book, but was not too fond of her in this one.  I did really enjoy Ringer in this book and liked seeing things from her perspective.  After I got back into the groove of the story, I did fall back into liking the characters and all of their back stories.

I think that the romance in this book is defiantly toned down more than it was in the first.  I felt like it was a more central part of the first book, but this one focused more on the plot and alien invasion.  I do wish that it would have had more romance because that was one of my favorite parts of the first one.  Yancey was better at balancing the plot and romance in the first book.

I did really like this book, but it was not as strong as the first.  I wish this book would have been longer and had more content than it did.  I think what made this book not a total flop was the ending.  The twist was amazing and blew my mind!  I am really hoping that the last book is just as amazing as the first and I am really anticipating its release.  


{Rating}


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...