Sunday, July 24, 2016

{Book Review} Unseen Messages by Pepper Winters



Unseen Messages by Pepper Winters
Published: March 30th, 2016 by CreateSpace
Series: Standalone
Source: Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Genre: NA, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 587
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

"Instincts are what keep us safe from fate. Ignoring them can change your life forever."

Fame and fortune arrived overnight and after months on the road with her singing tour, all Estelle craves is peace. Tired and ready for paradise, she travels to Fiji to recuperate.

Stubborn and surly, Galloway is avoided by most--which is exactly the way he likes it. However, he's done spending his life in regret and hopes to find redemption in the tropical wilderness.

Together, they board the flight that changes their fate forever. Crash landing on a deserted island, they not only have to figure out how to survive with no skills and daily dangers--learning how to fish, find water, and build shelter--but also inherit two children who look to them to keep them alive.

However, staying alive might be the least of Galloway and Estelle's problems. As days creep to months and rescue doesn't find them, their desire for each other ignites.

They started as strangers.
They grew to be friends.
They fought the desire to be lovers.

Lust can be the most beautiful thing. Love the most rewarding. But not on an island where life hangs by a thread and giving into temptation can kill you.

Can they survive being forgotten or will love be their ultimate undoing?

{Review}
This book shattered my soul!  It was deep, emotional, heart-wrenching and inspiring…needless to say, I loved it!  Unseen Messages is the type of book that stays with you long after you finished it.  Even today, I continue to think about what I experienced while reading this book.  However, I am glad that it was a standalone because I don’t know how much more my heart could take if there was a sequel (but I would still read it!). 

I didn’t really know what to expect when going into this book, but I was pleasantly surprised.  This book was a true survival story.  I know that in some “survival” stories, things just fall into place and the survivors don’t struggle too much to survive.  Unseen Messages is most defiantly not like that!  If I was in these characters place, I don’t think that I could have survived!  They had to find inventive ways to find water, food and shelter…nothing was just handed to them.  The struggled, but they never gave up.

Winter’s writing was beautiful!  It was detailed, flowery and poetic, but was still very easy to read.  I liked that the story alternates points of view between Estelle and Galloway.  I don’t think this book would have been successful any other way.  Experiencing these characters most inner thoughts when they were in such turmoil helped to explain their actions and create a deep connection between the characters and the reader.  I also really enjoyed the songwriting at the beginning of Estelle’s chapters.  It gave the book something unique and beautiful. 

I LOVED the plot of this story!  It was long, but amazingly perfect!  I have to warn some readers that this book is slow.  It shows the day to day life of these characters while they are trying to survive.  It shows them making water, finding food and building shelter.  However, it also has amazing character development, love, friendship and deep connections.  It explores what extreme stress and situations will do to hope and love.  But don’t think that this book is not exciting either!  It does have some fast-paced action and a mystery weaved through out the story.

The characters in this book are some of my favorite.  I thought Estelle was very relatable and down to Earth.  I liked that she was able to pull herself together in a very stressful situation to help take care of others in need.  I liked that Galloway was very complex, but I did find he was hard to connect to.  By the end of the book, I did really like him, but he never passed the threshold of being swoon worthy to me.  I don’t really want to comment on the other characters in this book because I feel like it is spoilers, but know that I thought they added an extra element to the story that I really enjoyed.

The romance was slow burning and angsty at first, but then grows to become something deeper.  I really felt like these characters loved one another.  There were a lot of miscommunications that were frustrating at times, but were able to be forgiven because of the extreme situations that they were in.  I also liked that all these characters were connected with love and knitted themselves into a small family unit to lean on each other.

Overall, I LOVED this book, but I don’t think that it is for everyone.  Know that this book is not just full of romance, but survival too.  I would urge readers who are interested in this book to give it a shot because it is amazing once you read it.  However, be prepared with tissues because I cried multiple times while reading this and there are only a handful of books that have done that to me.  I look forward to reading more books by Pepper Winters (I have already bought two of her other books!) and will add this book on my favorites list!

{Rating}

Love doesn’t live in first glances. Life doesn’t dwell in second chances. Our path exists in unseen messages.

Also check out Winters’s other books below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...