Saturday, August 13, 2016

{Book Review} Down to My Soul by Kennedy Ryan



Down to My Soul by Kennedy Ryan
Published: March 31st, 2016 by Kennedy Ryan
Series: Soul #2
Source: Bought
Genre: NA, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 318
{Goodreads}

 RHYSON

She doesn't wear my ring.
We never stood before a preacher.
The only vows exchanged were between our bodies; between our souls.
But she was mine and I was hers until I ruined it. I have to believe that every day, every step, every breath brings me closer to making things right.
To making her mine again.

KAI

I've seen promises broken.
I know love makes no guarantees.
But things were different for Rhys and me, until he lied, and I walked away. Only there's a chain between our hearts that I can't break. Even if I forgive him, a shadow from my past hangs over us; over this love that reaches all the way down to my soul.

{Review}
Kai and Rhyson are defiantly one of my top OTP’s and this book just cemented it!  Ryan has really woven a story that is both fun/entertaining and deep/emotional.  This story really sucks you in from page one and never lets go.  If you have not picked up the first book, My Soul to Keep, go now and buy it so that you can participate in this beautiful, epic love story too.

I LOVE Ryan’s writing.  It is so beautiful and well-crafted.  I found myself re-reading sentences just to be able to soak up the deeper meaning and the emotion entwined into every word.  This book is defiantly full of passages I highlighted because they are something I want to come back to re-experience again and again.  This book quickly advanced to my re-read pile, which is really hard to do seeing as I don’t really enjoy revisiting stories unless they affect me on a deeper level.

Ryan is a genius story crafter.  This one, just like the first, was very entertaining and drew me in.  I do have to say that I did have one issue with the plot, which is why I did not rate this book 5 stars.  I hate when the issue of miscommunication is used to drive the plot forward, especially when that same plot point was used in the previous book.  I also felt like the resolution of this conflict was rushed and the ending felt very abrupt.  However, everything in-between was fantastic and I still found myself intrigued to keep reading well into the night.

I really enjoyed watching the characters continue to grow in this story.  Kai became stronger and more self sure.  Some of her decisions did grate on me, but it was not annoying enough for me not to like the book.  I absolutely, one hundred percent love Rhyson.  He is loyal, strong, protective and just overall amazing!  I think Rhyson is a love him or hate him kind of guy.  Some readers might be put off by some of his extreme personality traits, but the fact that he acknowledges the things he needs to work on is enduring.  I will say I wish there was more character development in the secondary characters.  Sometimes it felt like they were just there to propel the plot instead of being integrated deeply in the story.   

The number one thing I love about this book (and series) is the romance.  It was beautiful, raw, heart-wrenching, steamy and all consuming.  Kai and Rhyson are two puzzle pieces that fit perfectly together.  It was great seeing them torn apart, but then finding each other again and again.  I will also add that with this being an NA book, it does contain more mature scenes that Ryan did very tastefully. 

Overall, I was not disappointed by this book!  This is defiantly becoming one of my favorite series and I CAN NOT wait for the third book to come out.  I am so thankfully that Ryan listened to reader’s requests for more of Kai and Rhyson, announcing she was going to be writing a novella and then surprised us with another complete book!  I am going to be picking up Ryan’s other books and if I like them as much as the Soul series, Ryan will be on my auto buy authors list.

{Rating}

He is mine and I am his. Our darkest secrets, shared. Our deepest places, reached. We are completely known. Completely loved down to our very souls.”

Also check out Ryan’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...