Sunday, September 11, 2016

{Book Review} Full Tilt by Emma Scott



Full Tilt by Emma Scott
Published: June 28th , 2016 by Trillian
Series: Full Tilt #1
Source: Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Contemporary, Romance,
Pages: 292
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

"I would love you forever, if I only had the chance..."

Kacey Dawson has always lived life on the edge--impulsively, sometimes recklessly. And now, as lead guitarist for a hot up-and-coming band, she is poised at the brink of fame and fortune. But she is torn between wanting to be a serious musician, and the demons that lure her down the glittering, but alcohol-soaked path of rock stardom. A wrecked concert in Las Vegas threatens to ruin her career entirely. She wakes up with the hangover from hell and no memory of the night before, or how she ended up on her limo driver’s couch...

Jonah Fletcher is running out of time. He knows his situation is hopeless, and he's vowed to make the most of the handful of months he has left to him. His plans include seeing the opening of his glass installation at a prestigious art gallery…they do not include falling in love with a wild, tempestuous rock musician who wound up passed out on his couch.

Jonah sees that Kacey is on a path to self-destruction. He lets her crash with him for a few days to dry out and get her head on straight. But neither of them expected the deep connection they felt, or how that connection could grow so fast from friendship into something more. Something deep and pure and life-changing…something as fragile as glass, that they both know will shatter in the end no matter how hard they try to hold on to it.

{Review}
This is one of those books that consumes your heart and soul, stays with you for days and makes you want to stay in bed for hours after finishing.  It was breath taking, beautiful and just genuinely full of love.  I can’t recommend this book enough!  I don’t enjoy reading sad books, but sometimes they are necessary and it is nice to feel connected and so devastated by the written word.  Please give this book a chance, you won’t regret it!

Emma Scott’s writing is absolutely beautiful and easy to connect with.  She was able to make me fall completely in love with her words and characters.  The way she wrote made this story feel very real…almost like she was writing something that actually happened.  The pacing was perfect.  It was slow enough that it allowed readers to deeply connect with the characters, but steady enough to keep me wanting to know what would happen next.

The plot of this book was painful, refreshing, awe-inspiring and beautiful.  I did find myself comparing it to The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, minus the cancer.  It made me cry…a lot!  I am glad that the synopsis reveals that this is not going to be a fluffy, care-free book, allowing readers to know exactly what they are getting into.  Although I think the end of this book is easily guessed, this book is a journey and the message is important. 

Emma Scott has an amazing ability to write characters that are genuine and full of depth.  Through the course of this novel, I fell in love with each and every one of them.  Kacey, the main female protagonist, is spunky, sweet and full of life.  Although she began lost in life at the beginning of the book, she becomes the beacon of light in Jonah’s life.  And Jonah, he was such a good guy, but closed off from life and love.  I think that it is impossible not to fall in love with his character.  He had charisma, was genuine and made me laugh on multiple occasions.  The secondary characters were also amazing!  Jonah’s friends and family were amazing and I would really love to see a spin-off book that focuses on them and their journey. 

The romance was heart-wrenchingly beautiful.  It started out as friendship and then slowly morphed into something so amazing.  I loved watching Jonah lower his guard and Kacey find her purpose in the world with his help.  It was one of those love stories that may not be eternal, but was what each of the characters desperately needed in that moment in their lives.  This love story has defiantly made an imprint on my heart that I will not soon be forgetting.  It is something that is not a happily-ever-after, but it was bittersweet.

Although I enjoyed the entirety of this book, I am uncertain if I will continue on with the sequel.  I read the synopsis of All In, the second book, and don’t know how I feel about where the story is progressing.  I do like keeping an open mind, so I might give it a shot depending on other reader’s reviews.  At this moment, I feel like this book would be better as a standalone.  I understand that Emma Scott probably wants to provide some sort of closure and happiness for her characters, but I almost think leaving the story open would be more impactful.

Overall, I would defiantly recommend this book to any readers who like romance, but I would encourage reading this with a huge box of tissues.  This book touched my soul and was worth the read, but because I usually shy away from heartbreak, I don’t think I will be picking this one up again for quite awhile.  This was one of the best books I have read this year and will be picking up more from this author in the future!

{Rating}

“Whenever the urge to kiss him came over me, I would kiss him.  No more living life halfway.  We had to go full tilt, just like the card players did.  I would hit instead of stay, Always.”

Also check Scott’s other books below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...