Sunday, September 4, 2016

{Book Review} The Protector by Jodi Ellen Malpas



The Protector by Jodi Ellen Malpas
Published: September 6th, 2016 by Forever
Series: Standalone
Source: Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Genre: NA, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 384
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

People think they have Camille Logan nailed: daddy's girl; beautiful, spoiled young woman with her father's bank balance to fund her lifestyle. But Camille is determined to have a life free from his strings. Out on her own, she's made mistakes, including one that found her clawing her way back after a stint in rehab and plenty of bad press. Now, after fighting so hard to be independent and happy, she finds her life threatened as a result of her father's ruthless business dealings. Caught between resentment and fear, Camille prepares herself for the measures her father will take to protect her. But nothing could prepare her for the ex-SAS sniper who crashes into her life.

Jake Sharp resides in his own personal hell. He was distracted from duty once before, and the consequences were devastating--both personally and professionally. He vowed never to let that happen again. Accepting the job of bodyguard to Camille Logan isn't the kind of distraction from his demons he should take. Women and Jake don't mix well, yet protecting the heiress seems the lesser of two evils. But Jake soon discovers that she isn't the woman she's perceived to be. She's warm, compassionate, her presence settling, and his duty to protect her soon goes deeper than a well-paid job, no matter how hard he fights it. He needs absolution. He comes to need Camille. But he knows he can't have both.

{Review}
Holy crap this book was fantastic!  I really didn’t know what to expect when picking up this book, but I found myself pleasantly surprised by how engaging the whole thing was.  This book was full of romance, suspense, mystery and action!  I found it very hard to put down because I just wanted to find out what was going to happen next.

I really enjoyed the writing in this book.  I thought it was engaging and very addictive.  The pace of the plot was executed perfectly and I found myself on the edge of my seat many times from the intense action to the enthralling mysteries.  I really enjoyed that this book had so many different facets and I enjoyed every single one.  The plot of the book was something that I have never read before (although I am sure there are several plots that are similar), but I liked that this book had something more.  The mysteries captivated me and I just wanted to know what was going on.  The fact that Malpas was able to weave in two mysteries, action and romance into this plot seamlessly blows my mind.  It was perfect!

The two main characters and love interests in this book, Camille and Jake, were well-rounded and complex.  Both had pasts that they struggled to overcome and with the story being told from their duel perspectives, it really helped readers understand their flaws and decisions.  I liked that Camille was strong willed and stood her ground.  Her behavior consistently made me chuckle and smile.  Jake also was stubborn and strong willed, but for different reasons.  I enjoyed getting to see his layers peeled back one by one as the story progressed.  I also enjoyed that the secondary characters helped to push the plot forward, but they also had their own distinct personalities and purpose within the plot. 

The romance in this book was great.  It was slow burning and angsty, allowing the readers to get to know that characters first before plunging them into the romance.  I really enjoyed seeing Camille help Jake with his personal demons, even though he constantly kept pushing her away.  Their feelings slowly grew as they began a friendship, even though they were immediately attracted to one another.  I thought the more mature scenes were done tastefully and sincere.  They added to the story rather than just thrown in to ramp up the romance. 

I have to say that the action in this book was on point!  The sequences were described perfectly and I could see it all play out in my head.  I do have to warn readers that there is violence in this book, but it does serve a purpose within the plot.  And the twists!  I never saw either of them coming.  I kept thinking I had it figured out, which might have been why I was blown away when I was completely wrong.

Overall, I think this book was great.  It almost reminds me of a summer action blockbuster movie.  It has so many components, it is impossible to be bored while reading it.  This book has defiantly peaked my interest in some of Jodi Ellen Malpas’s other books and I will defiantly be picking up something else by her.  I would recommend this book to mature readers who seek a book that has a complex story line with some love thrown in.

{Rating}

“She’s made me feel again, which scares me to f***ing death, because feeling again means I can hurt again.”

Also check Malpas’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...