Sunday, October 23, 2016

{Book Review} Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Don’t Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published: April 15th, 2014 by Disney-Hyperion
Series: Standalone
Source: Bought
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, YA
Pages: 384
{Goodreads}

Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all - popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend.

Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tries to piece together her life from before, she realizes it's one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took "mean girl" to a whole new level, and it's clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She's getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister, and friend, and she's falling hard for Carson Ortiz, a boy who has always looked out for her-even if the old Sam treated him like trash.

But Cassie is still missing, and the truth about what happened to her that night isn't just buried deep inside of Sam's memory - someone else knows, someone who wants to make sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally move on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?

{Review}
Jennifer L. Armentrout is one of my all-time favorite authors!  I have not read a book by her that I did not highly enjoy and this book was no different.  I was curious if Armentrout could pull off a YA mystery/thriller, but she did more than just pull it off…she blew it completely away!  I really cannot wait to continue reading everything that Jennifer writes and I highly recommend everyone try at least one of her books because I guarantee that you will be hooked.

In every one of my reviews of Jennifer’s books I say the same thing about her writing.  It is fantastic, easy and absolutely addicting!  The pacing in this book was perfect!  It was full of heart pounding moments and tons of twists and turns!  The mystery of this story was captivating.  I kept changing my suspects as more information was slowly revealed.  I would say that even the most seasoned mystery readers would enjoy this book.

I LOVED the characters in this book, particularly Samantha and Carson.  I have not read many books where the main protagonist is an unreliable narrator, but I loved that aspect of this book.  It allowed readers to slowly unravel the plot and mystery along with the main character.  I wanted Samantha to keep pushing to discover what happened and I felt very connected to her character.  Carson was a swoon-worthy, protective love interest for Sam.  I loved that he stood behind Sam and always allowed her to make her own choices, but also came along to make sure that she was always safe.

The romance in this book was on point!  It was such a slow burn, angsty connection between Samantha and Carson.  Other than the mystery, the romance is what really drew me into this story.  It was so good that I think this could have stood on its own feet as a contemporary romance without they mystery (however, of course, I would not have wanted it any other way).

Overall, this is a perfect book for any readers.  It was a great, fast-paced read that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time!  I do not have one thing that I would have changed, it was perfect. 

{Rating}

I was stuck in a life I didn't remember, squeezed into the shell of this girl - this Samantha Joe Franco - and the more I learned about her, the more I was starting to hate her."

Also check out some of Armentrout’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...