Sunday, October 30, 2016

{Book Review} Pretty Stolen Dolls by Ker Dukey & K. Webster



Pretty Stolen Dolls by Ker Dukey and K. Webster
Published: September 26th, 2016
Series: Pretty Stolen Dolls #1
Source: Bought
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Dark, Thriller
Pages: 228
{Goodreads}

Benny loves his pretty little dolls.
As long as they do exactly as they're told.
He keeps them perfect by brushing their hair
and gives them pretty dresses to wear.
He likes to toy with them late at night.
One so timid but the other likes to fight.
When his favorite doll runs away...
despite the other doll promising to stay,
his heart becomes broken and he can't help but cry.
He wants her back home or his pretty little doll must die.

Have you ever had to make a decision that haunts you every single day for the rest of your life…the life you stole back?
I have.
I ran for my survival, rocks and twigs cutting into the soles of my feet, my lungs burning and screaming for rest, every muscle tensed and fighting along with me for existence.
I left her.
I ran, ran, ran—from Benny and his lone, pretty little doll—until I couldn’t remember where to find them again.
I’m sorry.

{Review}
HOLY CRAP!  This book is a fast-paced, disturbing thriller with romance mixed in.  I was absolutely captivated by page one and could not put it down.  I have not read anything from either Dukey or Webster, but I have fallen in love!  I cannot believe how much I liked this book; it almost makes me feel like I am slightly psychotic because this book was messed up (but in a good way…kinda).

The writing in this book was addicting and the pacing was absolutely on point.  It flowed so seamlessly, which was great since it was written by two authors.  I loved that this story was told in both the present and the past.  With the past being slowly revealed with flashbacks, it allowed the mystery and tension to grow to epic levels.  It also allowed for the mystery to unravel slowly, not allowing readers to know too much so that they are surprised by every twist and turn!

The characters in this book were like onions, slowly being revealed layer by layer as the chapters went on.  I was always learning something new, and sometimes disturbing, about what made them tick.  I really don’t want to talk too in-depth about them because this is a book that is better to go into blind.  Just know that this is a wide cast of characters spanning from a strong-willed female lead, to a brooding, alpha male love interest, to a absolutely psychotic criminal. 

I am going to be honest and say that I was not expecting much from the romance in this book, but I was completely wrong!  The romance was slow-burning and angsty, but once it began…it was amazing!  I LOVED the connection and chemistry between these characters.  This book is also very steamy!  I would say that it does have more intimate scenes than I normally care for, but I don’t think it took anything away from the plot.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this book!  It was amazing.  However, I do not think it is for everyone.  Just be aware that it is extremely dark and graphic.  There might be content that may make some readers feel uncomfortable, so unless you have read dark, contemporary romance before…this book would be like jumping into the deep end with both feet.  It does leave off on a cliff hanger, but the second book releases in November.  I will absolutely be picking it up as soon as it releases and devour it.


{Rating}


“I have mixed reactions and emotions, my mind telling me one thing, but my body saying another.  Human contact in any form after a while becomes longed for.”

Also check out some of Dukey’s and Webster’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...