Sunday, November 27, 2016

{Book Review} The Fall Up by Aly Martinez



The Fall Up by Aly Martinez
Published: October 20th, 2015 by Createspace
Series: The Fall Up #1
Source: Bought
Genre: NA, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 262
{Goodreads}

I wanted to jump.
He made me fall.

As a celebrity, I lived in the public eye, but somewhere along the way, I’d lost myself in the spotlight.

Until he found me.

Sam Rivers was a gorgeous, tattooed stranger who saved my life with nothing more than a simple conversation.

But we were both standing on that bridge for a reason the night we met. The secrets of our pasts brought us together—and then tore us apart.

Could we find a reason to hold on as life constantly pulled us down?

Or maybe there’s only one direction to go when two people fall in love at rock bottom—up.

{Review}
This book was purely a cover buy, but after the first chapter, I knew that it was so much more.  I really enjoyed this book.  I was surprised that it held so much depth with being as short as it is.  Mental illness awareness is gaining popularity and I am glad that this book portrays mental illness well and shares an impactful message.  I am really interested in checking out some more of Aly Martinez’s other books to see if I enjoy them as much…or more than this one!

I thought the writing was good, but average.  It seems in romance books, it is really popular to mention character’s eye colors multiple times throughout a book…and this one did the same.  It is actually surprising how many different ways there is to describe the same color.  It did get on my nerves a little, but I have seen it in numerous books before.  I also struggled with the humor in this book.  I knew that certain parts were supposed to be found cute and funny, but I never really thought they were.  However, the pacing is good and I never found myself getting bored reading.

I think were this book really stands out was the great character development.  I really liked Levee as the main protagonist.  I thought that her character was really relatable and I could imagine her character being someone real.  I also really enjoyed how her mental illness was portrayed as something to not be ashamed of and that needs to be treated by professionals.  My favorite character was defiantly Sam Rivers!  He was amazingly handsome, sweet, kind, understanding, loyal and supportive.  I could not get enough of him.  I liked that he had a troubled past, but did not let that define who he was. 

The romance in this book was really good.  I did find that the beginning of the relationship was too rushed and felt less genuine.  I really like when a book establishes a good base for a relationship so that the feelings are more impactful.  I really loved the small, sweet gestures that Sam did for Levee.  I would have to say that this book is about a medium on the maturity scale.  It does have some detailed sexual situations that might not be right for beginners in the NA genre, but it also not erotica either. 

Overall, I thought this book was great for being a NA romance book.  It was fun, emotional, deep and beautiful.  I would recommend this book to readers who have read and enjoyed NA before.

{Rating}



“There was probably a herd of her fans that could beat me in a game of trivia about the woman I had every intention of marrying one day.
            I was okay with that.  I knew all the important things.
            I had to ask how she liked her eggs and what clique she’d belonged to in high school, but I knew how to make her laugh with a stupid joke and how to make her cheeks pink with a simple touch.
            I knew her heart.
            And I knew it belonged to me.” 95%

Also check out Martinez’s other books below.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...