Saturday, November 5, 2016

{Book Review} Just an Illusion-Side A by D. Kelly



Just an Illusion-Side A by D. Kelly
Published: November 3rd, 2016 by Dee Kelly
Series: The Illusion #1
Source: Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, NA
Pages: 301
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

One night changed her life…
Bestselling author Amelia Greyson has grown up in the music industry and isn’t the slightest bit fazed by fame or celebrities. However, when she attends a Bastards and Dangerous concert with her best friend Belle, her world shifts on its axis.
Double trouble…
Sawyer and Noah Weston are the front men of BAD. They’re fraternal twins and sexy as sin. When they hear the author of The O Factor is in their green room, they’re intrigued. She’s just the person they need to write their farewell story. The brothers offer Amelia the opportunity of a lifetime, which she reluctantly accepts.
Three hearts…
Noah is sweet and considerate, working hard to make Amelia feel at home on the road. Unfortunately, the closer they get, the more obnoxious Sawyer becomes. Sawyer is arrogant and distant and he wants Amelia, even though she’s not his for the taking. Only during stolen moments does Sawyer show her who he really is.
Can Amelia maintain a safe distance from Sawyer and keep her heart intact? Or will she shatter Noah’s heart by giving hers to his brother instead?

{Review}
Wow!  This book took me by absolute surprise in the best possible way.  It was addicting, funny, romantic and full of heart.  The heart in this book is what really sets it apart from all other rocker romances and let’s be honest, there are a lot!  I was blown away by this tight-knit group of characters that made me fall head-over-heels in love with them page by page.  When this book was over, I was sad because I wanted more!  This is going to be one of those series that sucks you in and you never want it to let you go.

This is my first book by D. Kelly and I loved it!  It had the addictive qualities of some of my absolute favorite books, which has landed it on the top of my list of guilty pleasure reads.  Although this book is full of romance, angst and drama…it is also full of so much more.  The story is told in first person, with Amelia being the main point of view.  There are some blog posts thrown in from Belle (Amelia’s BFF) that gave the story a fun spin.  The pacing was perfect.  It moved swiftly, but also allowed time for great character development.

One of my absolute favorite aspects of this book was the characters!  They were all amazing!  D. Kelly did a great job of giving each of these characters their own personalities and traits.  Each one was completely different, with great fleshed out histories.  I think the characters are what really gives this story heart and makes it dynamic.  It made me want to be part of these characters inner circle because the friendships and relationships all felt very genuine and sincere. 

I loved Amelia as our main character.  She was sassy, relatable and down-to-Earth.  I also loved Amelia’s BFF, Belle.  She was one of my favorite characters and I really can’t wait to see how her story unfolds in the next book!  Noah was absolutely amazing, almost to the point of being too perfect, but I can overlook that!  I loved that Noah was a good guy and has defiantly made it onto my list of favorite book characters.  Sawyer was more standoff-ish and mysterious, but the moments he had when he opened up really made me like his character.  He is the bad boy with the sweet side who consistently makes bad choices, but wants to change.  All of the band members of BAD were great!  They all seriously need their own book and I would devour each one of them.

The romance was amazing.  When I read the synopsis for this book, I was both intrigued and also scared about where it could go.  I am a reader who enjoys love triangles, but only if they are done right.  And this one was done amazingly!  Both love interests were equally swoon worthy.  However, I felt like there was only a slight love triangle in this book.  One relationship was far more developed than the other, but who knows how the next book will play out.  I do not want to go too in-depth with the romance aspect of this book since it is kind of a spoiler, but know that it is some of the best romance I have read!  I loved how cute it was and it most defiantly gave me all of the feels. 

The other aspect I loved about the romance was that there were multiple romances throughout.  I loved reading about the other relationships with the band members of BAD, which made the story feel more complex.  I am really crossing my fingers and hoping that there may be some spin-off books featuring the side characters. 

I am also going to warn readers that this ends on a HUGE cliffhanger.  I finished this late at night and my mind was racing from the ending!  If the second book would have been available, I would have had to stay up later to at least read the first couple chapters to see what was going to happen.  Personally, I think cliffhangers are fun when the wait for the second book is not too long, but I know they drive some readers crazy. 

Overall, I really loved this book.  This year is going to be a hard one to rate my favorite reads because there have been so many, but this one is defiantly up there.  I will be getting my hands on the second book as soon as possible and hope that there are several books to this series.  If you like rock star contemporary romance, then defiantly pick this one up!


{Rating}

“Too many people give up, they don’t fight, and they let go of the best part of their lives so easily.  In the heat of the moment, everything seems so black and white, but life isn’t black and white at all.  It’s in those shades of grey where we all get lost, question our morality, make the bad choices that affect the rest of our lives.  Those make-or-break decisions are the crux of our being, and having the right person by your side is everything.”

Also check out some of D. Kelly’s other books below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...