Sunday, November 27, 2016

{Book Review} Where I Belong by J. Daniels



Where I Belong by J. Daniels
Published: June 27th, 2014
Series: Alabama Summer #1
Source: Won from Facebook
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 227
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

When Mia Corelli returns to Alabama for a summer of fun with her childhood best friend, Tessa, there's only one thing keeping her on edge. One person that she’d do anything to avoid.

Benjamin Kelly. World’s biggest dickhead.

Mia hates him with a fury and has no desire to ever see him again. When she decides to start her summer off with a bang and finally give away her v-card, she unknowingly hands it over to the one guy that excelled at making her life miserable, learning a valuable lesson in the process.

Always get the name of the guy you’re going home with.

Ben can’t get the girl he spent one night with out of his head. When she leaves him the next morning, he thinks he’ll never see her again. Until he sees her lounging by the pool with his sister.

Mia is determined to hate Ben, even though she can’t forget him.

Ben is determined to prove he’s not the same guy he used to be.

What happens when the one person you wish never existed becomes the one person you can’t imagine being without?

{Review}
It’s official…I am a J. Daniels addict!  It started with Four Letter Word and progressed further with Hit the Spot, but after I read Where I Belong, it just pushed me over the edge.  It only took me reading the first few pages to fall head over heels for this book.  It started out with a bang and then never let go.  Her ability to write addicting plots, relatable characters and amazing romance will definitely have me reading anything I can get my hands on by her!

J. Daniels writing was great!  It captivated me from the beginning and never let go.  This is the kind of writing that I look for in contemporary romances.  The words flowed effortlessly, allowing me to immerse myself completely within the story.  Addicting is a great way to categorize this book.  If I had free time, I was reading this book and when I wasn’t, I was wishing that I could. 

Just like I stated in my reviews of Four Letter Word and Hit the Spot, Daniels has the ability to write amazing dialogue.  I never really thought about how important dialogue is, but the more I read, the more I realize that it can make or break a book.  It can disrupt the flow of a book, distinguish the connection between the reader and characters and hinder character development.  But Daniel’s dialogue is some of the best that I have ever read. 

I do have to say that the plot of this story is predictable, but that did not bother me.  There were a few occurrences that did surprise me, but I would say that overall the plot is nothing entirely unique.  It is a hate to love romance, which is now becoming one of my favorite kinds of books.  It was full of angst and witty banter between the two main characters, Mia and Ben.  I found myself smiling at the antics they both pulled while they were trying to sort out their feelings.  I thought it was cute and heart-warming, but it was full of clich├ęs.  However, in the end, I really did love this book.

One of the reasons I love J. Daniels is her ability to make be fall in love with her characters.  They are all so dynamic and well-rounded, even the side characters.  I loved Mia!  She was relatable, sweet and down-to-Earth.  And Ben was amazing!  He was charming, loyal and a little rough around the edges.  He was very protective of Mia and sometimes came off too strong, but in the end, I was really rooting for him to win over Mia’s heart.  I also adored all the side characters and can’t wait to get my hands on All I Want so I can read Luke’s and Tessa’s story!

I enjoyed the romance in this book, but I did have some problems with it at times.  In fact, I am kind of surprised how fast I fell in love with this book considering it has one of the tropes that I absolutely hate…insta-love!   Ben instantly falls in love with Mia and in the beginning comes off too strong.  After getting past the beginning, he settles down some, but that might be an issue for some readers.  This book is also on the more mature side of romance.  It starts with a bang and then accelerates from there.  I would have preferred less steamy romance, but because the connection between Mia and Ben was well established, it didn’t bother me too much.  But just a warning to readers, this book contains a lot of mature content.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  I would highly recommend checking out J. Daniel’s books because so far, I have enjoyed all that I have read from her.  I plan on continuing on with this series and reading anything else that Daniel’s writes in the future!


{Rating}

“The boy I once wished never existed was now the man I wanted to spend every second with.”

Also check out some of J. Daniels's other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...