Friday, December 2, 2016

{Book Review} Hit the Spot by J. Daniels



Hit the Spot by J. Daniels
Published: December 6th, 2016 by Forever
Series: Dirty Deeds #2
Source: Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, NA
Pages: 400
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

Is this love or just a game?

Tori Rivera thinks Jamie McCade is rude, arrogant, and worst of all . . . the sexiest man she's ever laid eyes on. His reputation as a player is almost as legendary as his surfing skills. No matter how her body heats up when he's around, she's determined not to be another meaningless hookup.

Jamie McCade always gets what he wants. The sickest wave. The hottest women. And Tori, with her long legs and smart mouth, is definitely the hottest one. He knows Tori wants him-hell, most women do-but she won't admit it. After months of chasing and one unforgettable kiss, it's time for Jamie to raise the stakes.

Jamie promises that soon Tori won't just want him in her bed, she'll be begging for it-and he might be right. Somehow he's found the spot in her heart that makes her open up like never before. But with all she knows about his past, can she really trust what's happening between them? Is Jamie playing for keeps or just playing to win?

{Review}
After I read Four Letter Word and was introduced to Jamie, I HAD to read this book…it was not even a choice!  I was a little surprised that this book felt different than book one, but I still really enjoyed it.  It was more steamy, raw and full of angst, but still had great character development and an amazing romance.  I would suggest reading Four Letter Word if you want all the feels and read Hit the Spot if you want to dial up the steamy romance a notch, but of course I recommend reading both!

Daniel’s writing was yet again amazing!  It flowed effortlessly and drew me in from page one.  I thought the pacing was great.  The beginning was fast paced and exciting, but then at the half-way point, it slowed down to dive deeper into the romance and the character development.  I loved every minute of it!  And again, the dialogue in this book was superb.  I LOVED the banter between Jamie and Tori.  It was hilarious, not as funny as the first, but I still found myself smiling. 

Like most readers of Four Letter Word, what drew me to this book was Jamie.  He was so cocky, intriguing and hilarious with his one liners in book one, I knew that I needed to get my hands on this book.  And I have to say, Jamie did not disappoint!  His aggressive pursuit of Tori was taken to a new extreme in this book and was oh-so attractive.  He was relentless and passionate, but also sweet and caring.  Diving deeper into his past and character was great.  I loved that he opened up slowly, but also kept his hard edge.  I really enjoyed Tori in book one because of her sassiness and ability to take Jamie’s crap and fire it right back, but this book showed her softer side.  She was fragile, scared, and vulnerable.  I liked this side of Tori, but at times, I wanted to shake her and tell her to just let her guard down.  However, I think that any woman who has been scorned by a past relationship can relate to Tori’s hesitation to opening up her heart to another man. 

I also enjoyed the secondary characters in this book, but was surprised that I did not feel the build up to the next book in the series like I did in Four Letter Word.   In book one, the plots for the future books in this series were established, but I did not feel like this book did the same.  Even though Hit the Spot can be read as a stand-alone, I feel to really get the most out of these books that they should all be read in order.  With that said, I also really liked re-visiting Sydney and Brian from book one and seeing how much their relationship was progressing.

The romance in this book was excellent.  I liked how the angst and tension built up at the beginning of the book and then at the half-way point, shifted into something else.  If you are a reader who loves reading hate to love romances, then this book will defiantly be up your alley!  Jamie and Tori constantly argued and threw one-liners back-and-forth until their relationship finally combusted into something deeper and more meaningful.  My only complaint, and one of the reasons I did not give this book 5 stars, is that there were just too many road bumps along the way.  It was just one thing after another and dragged it out tirelessly to the point of me feeling exhausted for them. 

I also need to mention that there were more ‘mature’ scenes in this book than the first…by a lot!  I mean, there was a lot of sex, which could be a good or bad thing depending on the reader.  It did not affect my rating, but it was a bit much for me personally.  The scenes were very detailed, but done tastefully.  I felt they added to the connection that slowly grew between Tori and Jamie, making their romance feel genuine.

Overall, I think this was a great installment in the Dirty Deeds series!  However, I think that I enjoyed Four Letter Word a teeny bit more.  I defiantly plan on continuing on with the series and am excited to see where the next book takes readers.  I am also most defiantly planning on reading more from J. Daniels.  I love her writing style and the way she is able to make me fall in love with her characters.  Make sure to check this book out if you want to enjoy a steamy, angst-filled hate to love romance.



{Rating}

“I closed my eyes. God. What was more dangerous? The heartbreaker or the breath-stealer.  Player Jamie or the man who let me touch him like he was mine.  I didn’t know.”

Also check out some of J. Daniles’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...