Sunday, December 4, 2016

{Book Review} Hooked by Brenda Rothert



Hooked by Brenda Rothert
Published: December 6th, 2016 by Loveswept
Series: Standalone
Source: Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

Miranda: Even though I’m broke, putting myself through college, and working two jobs, I’m trying to make the best of it. Meanwhile, Jake Birch, hockey’s hottest bad boy, lives in a luxury hotel in downtown Chicago—and still complains about every little thing in his penthouse. But after I tell him off, instead of getting me fired, Jake requests me as his personal housekeeper. Then he starts flirting with me. Only I’m not flirting back . . . at least, I’m trying not to. Did I mention that he’s hockey’s hottest bad boy?

Jake: I’ve met the best woman at the worst possible time. Miranda is the fire to my ice—a sexy, charmingly candid spark who breaks down my walls and reminds me what it’s like to feel again. But I’m being forced to date my team owner’s daughter to keep my job, so I can’t be caught with Miranda. Still, we’re getting closer—until Miranda finds out about my “girlfriend.” And that’s not the only secret I’ve been keeping. But Miranda’s the one I want . . . even if she doesn’t believe me.

{Review}
A lot of what goes into my rating, is how a book makes me feel and unfortunately, this one was too simplistic and full of tropes that I could not find it enjoyable.  With how many sports romances that are out there, it takes a unique spin to make the story standout and original.  This book may just not be for me since there are several raving reviews, but personally, this book just did not make the cut.

I thought the writing in this book was good.  I flew through it effortlessly because it flowed perfectly.  The dialogue in this book is also really great.  Jake’s one-liners were hilarious and I enjoyed the banter between Miranda and him.  However, I felt like this book lacked a unique edge, which caused me to lose interest.  It was full of clich├ęs that are constantly found in books and movies.  It reminded me a lot of Maid in Manhattan, with the story line of a rich guy who sweeps the maid off her feet, begs to take care of her and then eventually they fall in love.  It lacked that special something that I look for with these types of reads.

The story line of this book felt very stagnant and flat.  There was no build up to any big event or some huge revelation.  There was a small ‘mystery’, but it was never built up and I felt like there were too many clues dropped so I already knew what was going to happen.  There was also the absolutely cheesiest scene I have ever read in a book.  I literally rolled my eyes while reading it.

I did really like the main guy character, Jake.  He was so upfront and honest about his feelings and intentions, which I really found admirable.  His character stayed consistent throughout the book.  I liked that he was a bad boy at the beginning of the book and was still one at the end.  I hate books where the guy starts off with a hard edge, but then morphs into a completely different character by the end.  I liked Miranda as well, but she was pretty average and did not have as much depth to her character as Jake.  I never was able to fully commit to these characters, which I think hurt how I perceived this book.  I wish that there would have been an extra 50 or so pages so that the character development could have been deeper and more fleshed out.

The romance in this book fell flat for me because of my inability to connect with these characters.  Otherwise, I would say the romance would have been great.  The steamy scenes in this book were done very tastefully.  I am glad that Rothert did not add tons of them in this book, rather allowing the characters to slowly build up to that moment making it more significant.

Overall, I just did not connect with the characters, which essentially ruined the rest of the book for me.  I have read so many books that are similar and it just did not stand out enough.  I think this would be a good book for readers who are new to reading sport’s romance books, but seasoned readers might get bored.  I do plan on seeking out more of Rothert’s books since I did enjoy the dialogue and writing.



{Rating}





Also check out some of Rothert’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...