Wednesday, December 7, 2016

{Book Review} This is War by Kennedy Fox



This is War by Kennedy Fox
Published: October 3rd, 2016
Series: Checkmate #1
Source: Received in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 414
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

Travis King is the worst kind of asshole.
He taunts me for being a good girl and mocks my high standards.
He’s cruel, crass, and has enough confidence to last two lifetimes.
And I hate him.

It wouldn’t matter so much if he were avoidable.

But considering he’s my older brother’s best friend and roommate, I see him more than I’d ever want to.

His sculpted abs and gorgeous eyes are a waste on such an egotistical man, which makes me hate him even more.

Even though I’ve had a crush on him since I was ten, the feelings weren’t mutual and he’s always made that very clear.

He’s always loved getting under my skin and one night against my better judgment, I let him in my bed.

I’ve succumbed to his manwhore ways, but that doesn’t change a thing.

Because the King is about to get played at his own game—and lose.

Checkmate.

{Review}
WOW!  I really have no idea how I am supposed to feel after reading this!  It was very intense, addictive and all-consuming.  I knew from reading the synopsis that this book would be right up my alley, but I had no idea how much I was going to absolutely love it.  It was full of twists and turns and that ending!  Holy crap I need to get my hands on the second book NOW!  If you like angsty, hate to love romance books, than pick up this as soon as you can.

I really enjoyed the writing in this book.  It was simply and easy to read, but it also was very addicting.  The pacing of the story was amazing!  It was very steady and had the perfect build up to the more climatic moments.  I loved that this story was told in dual POV between Viola and Travis.  In most books I have read like this, the POV’s alternate chapters, but in this one, they switch back-and-forth within the chapters.  It was great being able to see both POV’s in some of the more pivotal scenes.  The flashback moments were also very well done.  It cemented my love for these characters and gave them more depth.

The dialogue in this book is witty, hilarious and on point!  The things that Viola and Travis would say to each other had me laughing out loud.  I loved how feisty Viola was.  I feel like I would be BFF’s with Viola in real life that’s how much I liked her character. Although she is extremely spunky, she had a vulnerable side from the pain that Travis has caused her in the past.  Travis was an absolute douchebag extraordinaire!  He was cocky, arrogant and completely full of himself.  But deep, deep down, there is pain from his past that causes him to continuously destroy any chances he has at happiness.  I thought the side characters were also really amazing and well-developed.

Holy crap this book was steamy!  I think that it might even be the dirtiest book that I have ever read.  Keep that in mind if you are new to the romance genre because this book would be jumping into the deep end with both feet.  However, more seasoned romance readers will probably eat it up and absolutely love every minute of it.  The moments between Travis and Viola felt very raw, but also completely genuine.  The sexual tension from these two characters literally radiate off the page so much that it is almost painful.  This is one of those books that slowly tortures you in the best ways.

AND THAT ENDING!  I knew going into this that there was a cliffhanger, but I had no idea.  There is one scene in particular that made me feel like I had the ending all figured out, BUT I HAD NO IDEA!  I am still wondering if I am going to see some repercussions in book two from that scene, but my mind is still reeling from what is going to happen next.  If you get book one, prepare to get book two immediately after because you are going to want to read it!

Kennedy Fox was able to write a unique book that blew my mind in the best way possible, but also make my heart ache.  I am looking forward to reading more from her and to see how she rips my heart out even more (and hopefully puts it back together) in the conclusion to this duology.  I would highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy contemporary romance.

{Rating}

“The first time I met Travis, my ten-year-old heart told me I’d met the person I’d spend the rest of my life with.  But the heart is wrong.  The heart told lies.  It took years to repair the damage he caused and somehow he’s ripped off the bandages that held me together.”


 The sequel, This is Love, releases December 12th, 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...