Sunday, January 1, 2017

{Book Review} Driven by K. Bromberg



Driven by K. Bromberg
Published: December 25th, 2013 by JKB Publishing
Series: Driven #1
Source: Won from Facebook
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 320
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

Rylee Thomas is used to being in control. But she’s about to meet the one man
that just might make her enjoy losing it…


I am the exception to the rule.

In a world full of willing women, I’m a challenge to the roguish and achingly handsome Colton Donavan. A man used to getting exactly what he wants in all aspects of life. He’s the reckless bad boy constantly skating that razor thin edge toward out of control, on and off of the track.

Colton crashes into my life like a tornado: sapping my control, testing my vulnerabilities beyond their limits, and unintentionally penetrating the protective wall around my healing heart. Tearing apart the world I rebuilt so carefully with structure, predictability, and discipline.

I can’t give him what he wants and he can’t give me what I need. But after a glimpse beneath his refined exterior into the dark secrets of his damaged soul, can I bring myself to walk away?

Our sexual chemistry is undeniable. Our individual need for complete control is irrefutable. But when our worlds collide, is the chemistry enough to bring us together or will our untold secrets and battle of wills force us apart?

{Review}
This book was a hard one for me to rate.  I don’t do half star ratings since I like to make my blog’s rating scale the same as Goodreads, but I think I would rate this as a 3.5 in actuality.  I absolutely loved aspects of this story, but I also had several problems with it as well.  I am still conflicted with my feelings as I write this review, but in the end, I found it enjoyable, but frustrating at the same time.

The writing of this book surprised me.  It was very detailed and sophisticated, which is not what I am used to in my fluffy contemporary romances.  It was a nice change, but made the book feel a bit darker to me.  The pacing of the book was good, but did drag in some points which made me get bored.  One of the biggest issues I had with this book was Bromberg’s overuse of the word “ghost”.  At first, I liked it because I thought it was an interesting way to describe a smile, but then it became ridiculous.  It was literally used to describe almost every smile that ever occurred in this book!  Usually stuff like that does not stand out to me, but it drove me crazy!

I had a hate/love relationship with the two main characters in this book.  Rylee began as a confident, sure-of-herself woman, but as the book progressed, she began to lose that.  One thing I hate (in real life and in books) is when a man treats a women badly, whether it be past trauma or emotional struggles, she justifies his actions.  Rylee slowly became a doormat and I wish she would have stood up for herself and laid down her rules.  She constantly kept bending and allowing herself to be used.  Then there is Colton.  He is cocky, egotistical and full of himself.  At times, when he showed his sweet side, I loved his character.  However, I started getting whiplash with how quickly his moods changed.  One minute he is caring and sweet, and then next he is cold and domineering. 

The one thing I did love about the character development in this book was the way everything was unfolded slowly for the reader.  It was like an onion being peeled back layer by layer.  Both characters have traumatic pasts and I desperately wanted to know the details of both.  Learning what Rylee went through broke my heart.  I felt a connection with her.  Colton’s past was never really revealed in this book.  Hints were given, but there were very vague.  I was disappointed in this because, for some reason, I had it in my mind that this was a companion series, not one that focuses only on one couple.  I was expecting a resolution and to not get one threw me off a bit.  But I am still intrigued with the questions that were left unanswered and plan on finishing the series unless the books become not enjoyable.

The romance in this book was okay.  I was rooting for the main characters, but then there were times that I wanted Rylee to slap Colton across the face and leave.  Both characters went back and forth on their emotions for each other, which kept hindering me to fully commit to their connection.  Colton’s inability to express his wants and emotions became unbearable at times.  It did not really come off as angst to me; it almost felt like emotional torture. 

Although I had many issues with this book, for some reason, I still really enjoyed reading it.  There were points that the plot and characters just drew me into the story and I had to know what was going to happen next, but then there were moments that the main characters made me so mad that I wanted to throw my Kindle across the room.  Usually I rate books on how they make me feel and this one gave me a mix of emotions that really screwed with how I felt about it after I turned the last page. 

I would recommend this book to readers who think it sounds interesting.  I have heard a lot of readers compare it to 50 Shades of Grey, which I have not read and do not plan on reading.  If you enjoy books like that, then this would probably appeal to you.  I am going to leave my review at that because I still feel very conflicted about my rating.  Maybe after a few weeks I can sort it out or once I move onto the second book my feelings will start to go one way or the other.


{Rating}
 (3.5 Stars)

“He is one of those guys who consumes every part of you.  Makes you whole when you never thought you were incomplete.  Gives you strength and makes you weak all at the same time.”


Also check out some of Bromberg’s other books below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...