Sunday, January 22, 2017

{Book Review} I am Lioness by Dee Garcia



I am Lioness by Dee Garcia
Published: December 10th, 2016
Series: The Bloodshed Series #1
Source: Won from Instagram
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 218

{Goodreads}{Amazon}

With pain comes strength.
My name is Hazel Perry. You however, can call me Lioness.
I live and breathe MMA -24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
That ring is mine. I'm the Queen.
Fierce, untouchable, and undefeated.
I've been asked how I willingly subject myself to such an intense, brutal career.
My answer… Because it feels good.
The rush, the high, how all other pain in your life numbs away into nothing. It's made me stronger. Every single stitch of pain I've experienced -both physically and emotionally- has made me stronger.
I've learned to protect myself. I don't trust easily and I never allow others to get too close.
Until Knox Carr.
He turned my world right side up and showed me how to feel again.
How to live again.
How to love again.
Through bouts of separation and trials along the way, will we make it out alive?

{Review}
When I read the synopsis of this book, I knew that I had to read it.  It is so empowering reading a book were the main female protagonist is a kick-ass, take-no-prisoners badass!  I mean, a romance staring a female MMA fighter, where the man sits on the sidelines and cheers on his women…yes please!  This was the first book that I have read from Dee Garcia, but it won’t be the last.  I really enjoyed this book and am extremely interested in the continuation of this series, but I did have some slight problems that hindered my enjoyment while reading it.

The writing was very strong and I am blown away that this is Garcia's debut novel!  I thought it flowed seamlessly and the pacing was perfect!  Some of the dialogue at the beginning threw me off a bit and I found myself having to re-read some, but once this book hit it's stride, it never relented!  This was a quick, fun read that kept me on the edge of my seat, always leaving me wanting to know what was going to happen next.

I think the most unique thing about this book was the plot.  As I have said above, this book centers around a female MMA reigning champion fighter.  I loved how it went into detail about the fights, giving details so readers understood how extreme and gruesome these fights can actually get.  The picture that Garcia was able to paint was perfect.  I could actually see this book play out in my head as if I was there!  With the popularity of so many male MMA fighter books, it was a breath of fresh air reading a beloved genre, but with a new and unique spin!

One of my downfalls of this book was my lack of connection with the characters.  I did really like Hazel, but at the end of the book, I still did not feel like I really knew who she was.  I liked her dark past and how it caused her to constantly push people away, but her mood swings started to wear on my nerves at times.  Although her personality could be grating, she still felt like a very real, concise character.  Knox was absolutely amazing!  He was hard, but soft at the same time.  I loved how he stood behind Hazel no matter what and was willing to pick her up every time she fell.  I instantly fell in love with Knox and can’t wait to dive deeper into his character in book two!

The romance in this book was good, but my lack of connection with Hazel made me unable to fully commit to it.  The thing I loved most about the romance was the fact that Knox loved that Hazel was a domineering, successful, powerful women and could hold her own without his help.  I LOVED how he stood on the sidelines and cheered her on at her fights, never loosing confidence in Hazel’s ability to perform.  However, I did sometimes found the pet name (AKA ‘stud’) Hazel called Knox a little annoying.  It never felt fluid and at times took me out of the story.

Overall, I enjoyed this book.  Although I loved the plot and the concept, I was never fully able to fall in love with the characters.  I did start to feel more connected to them at the end of the book and hope that the continuation of Hazel and Knox’s story will only progress that farther.  I hope to be able to read some more of Dee Garcia’s work in the future and am planning on continuing on with this story in book two!


{Rating}

“WE ALL KNOW WHO SHE IS!  HELL, SHE’S THE REASON WHY YOU’RE ALL HERE TONIGHT!  LET’S MAKE SOME NOISE AND WELCOME YOUR REIGNING QUEEN TO THE CAGE!  HERE SHE COMES, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, HAAAAZELLLL LIONESSSSSS PEERRRYYY!!!”
They went absolutely ballistic. 
Showtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...