Sunday, January 29, 2017

{Book Review} It Ain't Me, Babe by Tillie Cole



It Ain’t Me, Babe by Tillie Cole
Published: April 26th, 2014
Series: Hades Hangman #1
Source: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 466
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

Sinning never felt so good…
A fortuitous encounter.
A meeting that should never have happened.

Many years ago, two children from completely different worlds forged a connection, a fateful connection, an unbreakable bond that would change their lives forever…

Salome knows only one way to live—under Prophet David’s rule. In the commune she calls home, Salome knows nothing of life beyond her strict faith, nor of life beyond the Fence—the fence that cages her, keeps her trapped in an endless cycle of misery. A life she believes she is destined to always lead, until a horrific event sets her free.

Fleeing the absolute safety of all she has ever known, Salome is thrust into the world outside, a frightening world full of uncertainty and sin; into the protective arms of a person she believed she would never see again.

River ‘Styx’ Nash knows one thing for certain in life—he was born and bred to wear a cut. Raised in a turbulent world of sex, Harleys, and drugs, Styx, unexpectedly has the heavy burden of the Hades Hangmen gavel thrust upon him, and all at the ripe old age of twenty-six—much to his rivals’ delight.

Haunted by a crushing speech impediment, Styx quickly learns to deal with his haters. Powerful fists, an iron jaw and the skillful use of his treasured German blade has earned him a fearsome reputation as a man not to be messed with in the shadowy world of outlaw MC’s. A reputation that successfully keeps most people far, far away.

Styx has one rule in life—never let anyone get too close. It’s a plan that he has stuck to for years, that is, until a young woman is found injured on his lot… a woman who looks uncannily familiar, a woman who clearly does not belong in his world, yet a woman he feels reluctant to let go…

{Review}
Once in a while you read a book that is soul-crushing, mind-shatteringly amazing that you fear that you will not be able to enjoy another book once you turn the last page of it and this book was that for me!  It was nothing I could have imagined and I was not prepared for how much I would absolutely fall in love with Cole’s words, the damaged characters, the intricate plot and all the feels!  It is only the first month of the year, but I am almost positive that this will be my favorite read from 2017!

I was first introduced to Cole’s writing in A Veil of Vines and was completely captivated by it.  It was beautiful, raw and addictive.  Although It Ain’t Me, Babe has a completely different vibe, the writing was the same and I can now say that Cole is one of my favorite authors!  I loved how unique and dynamic the plot was, but I have to admit that at times, reality would have to be suspended to get the most from the story.  It was full of drama, angst and the pacing was on point.  I was addicted from page one and had a hard time putting this book down!

One of my favorite aspects of this book was the characters.  They were all dynamic, complex and damaged.  When I began this book, I never thought that I could fall in love with the violent, destructive heathens that are the members of the Hades Hangman, but slowly as their softer sides began to be revealed, they inched their way into my heart.  This is a group of characters that you will either absolutely love or absolutely loath.  Each member of the Hades Hangman was completely different, but they still felt like a cohesive group of individuals.  I cannot wait to read each and every one of their books!

The romance in this book was defiantly a guilty pleasure of mine!  I loved it, but I did have to suspend reality to really enjoy it.  Styx (leader of the Hades Hangman) and Mae (commune escapee) are complete opposites.  He is controlling, demanding and brutal, while Mae is innocent, naïve and dependent.  Styx was very possessive over Mae, demanding that she did exactly as he wanted.  I would classify this as an unhealthy relationship, but I got sucked into their story and enjoyed every minute of it.  It’s strange because I would never condone this behavior, but in this book, it worked for the story. 

I did have a slight issue with Mae’s characterization because at times, it just did not seem plausible for someone so innocent and naïve to completely change their beliefs so drastically in such a short amount of time.  Although Mae questioned the society she was raised in, I don’t think that it would be so easy to fit in to a society that is the complete opposite.  However, I still really loved her character.  I enjoyed seeing her develop and evolve.  I am excited to see how much more she progresses in the future books.

I LOVED this book!  I recommend it to all readers who like dark, angsty reads with a unique, taboo plot.  I am VERY excited to see where this series goes and am defiantly planning on continuing on.  I am going to try to drag out reading these because I do not want it to end!  After finishing this book, I literally felt depressed because I just wanted to read more!  Tillie Cole has quickly became one of my favorite authors and I am excited to dive into her other books!

{Rating}

“Though he looked like Satan himself, he was quite simply the most beautiful man I had ever seen: ruggedly handsome and the most commanding man I have ever encountered.”



“Because if Styx was damned to hell, so was I.  I would follow him into the fire.”

Also check out some of Tillie Cole’s other books below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...