Sunday, February 5, 2017

{Book Review} Broken Prince by Erin Watt



Broken Prince by Erin Watt
Published: July 25th, 2016 by Timeout LLC
Series: The Royals #2
Source: Won
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, NA
Pages: 350
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

These Royals will ruin you...

From wharf fights and school brawls to crumbling lives inside glittery mansions, one guy tries to save himself.

Reed Royal has it all--looks, status, money. The girls at his elite prep school line up to date him, the guys want to be him, but Reed never gave a damn about anyone but his family until Ella Harper walked into his life.

What started off as burning resentment and the need to make his father's new ward suffer turned into something else entirely--keep Ella close. Keep Ella safe. But when one foolish mistake drives her out of Reed's arms and brings chaos to the Royal household, Reed's entire world begins to fall apart around him.

Ella doesn't want him anymore. She says they'll only destroy each other.

She might be right.

Secrets. Betrayal. Enemies. It's like nothing Reed has ever dealt with before, and if he's going to win back his princess, he'll need to prove himself Royally worthy. 

{Review}
My heart was pounding out of my chest when I picked up this book to read!  Paper Princess left off on a HUGE cliffhanger and I was anxious to see the direction book two was going to take.  Just like the first book, it was a very addicting read and I kept turning the pages to find out what was going to happen next! 

The writing in this book was just as great as in the first.  I loved that it was in dual POV alternative between Ella and Reed.  It allowed readers to have a better understanding of Reed and his character.  However, after about the halfway point of the book, I found myself enjoying Ella’s POV more than Reed’s.  The dialogue was smart and witty, with Easton’s dialogue making me laugh to the point of tears.  The first half of the book did drag a bit, but it allowed for the characters to become more developed and secondary plots be expanded.

I feel like this book made me love Ella’s character even more!  In this book, Ella’s more vulnerable side was shown which made her even more relatable.  My one small issue with this book is that, at times, Reed’s character seemed completely different from Paper Princess.  It felt like Reed was losing his ‘hard edge’ within a couple months time.  Don’t get me wrong, I liked both sides of Reed, but sometimes it just felt a little off.  I was very happy that Easton’s character was developed more in this book and his wise cracks continued.  I would absolutely love some spin off book or even a novella told from Easton’s POV!  I was disappointed in some of the secondary character development.  While Gideon’s character has a bit more growth, I still feel like I practically know no more about the twins, Sebastian and Sawyer. 

The romance in this book was just as good as the first!  It is really hard to say too much without giving things away with that huge cliffhanger ending in Paper Princess.  Just know that if you enjoyed the romance in book one, you will probably like it in this book as well.  I am really excited to see how Ella’s and Reed’s relationship evolves in Twisted Palace.  I am also interested in some of the other romances that are expanded on within this book as well.

After thinking about it, I don’t think that I enjoyed this book as much as the first.  There was just something about being introduced to the Royal family and uncovering the deep secrets in Paper Princess that I loved.  Although Broken Prince does thrive on drama, sometimes it felt a bit too much.  The end of this book is absolutely polluted with tons of drama.  It was just one big thing after another and then it just ends on another huge cliffhanger.  Don’t get me wrong, I did really enjoy it and it kept me turning the pages, but if drama is not your thing, you may not enjoy these books.  These books remind me so much of the show Gossip Girl, focusing on scandalous relationships, social status and tons of drama.  Some people love it, but it is not everyone’s cup of tea.

I thought that Broken Prince was a good sequel to Paper Princess, but it did somewhat suffer from second book syndrome.  I still really loved it, but I might have liked it a little more if I would have took a breather from book one before I dove into this.  I am really hoping that the third and final book, Twisted Palace, gives me all the feels from the first book.  I plan on devouring the last book in this series and am scared of the massive book hangover I am sure that I am going to experience. 


{Rating}

“He told me to stay away. He told me I didn’t belong. If only I’d listened to him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...