Sunday, February 19, 2017

{Book Review} Stepbrother Dearest by Penelope Ward



Stepbrother Dearest By Penelope Ward
Published: September 23rd, 2014
Series: Standalone
Source: Purchased
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
{Goodreads}{Amazon}

You’re not supposed to want the one who torments you.

When my stepbrother, Elec, came to live with us my senior year, I wasn’t prepared for how much of a jerk he’d be.

I hated that he took it out on me because he didn’t want to be here.
I hated that he brought girls from our high school back to his room.
But what I hated the most was the unwanted way my body reacted to him.

At first, I thought all he had going for him were his rock-hard tattooed abs and chiseled face. Then, things started changing between us, and it all came to a head one night.

Just as quickly as he’d come into my life, he was gone back to California.

It had been years since I’d seen Elec.

When tragedy struck our family, I’d have to face him again.

And holy hell, the teenager who made me crazy was now a man that drove me insane.

I had a feeling my heart was about to get broken again.

{Review}
This book defiantly gave me all the feels!  I was not expecting a short, quick, fun read to literally tear my heart out!  I have never read anything by Penelope Ward before, but she has a huge fan base and now I am part of it!  I love forbidden romance books, but I am still a little wherry about stepbrother romances.  This is my second and I think that I am slowly changing my mind about these types of books.  It was amazing!

Ward’s writing was phenomenal!  It flowed effortlessly and painted a very vivid image in my mind.  I would not say that this book is very fast-paced, but it did keep me interested throughout the story.  I constantly kept pushing myself to read because I needed to know how it was going to end.  The only thing that I did not enjoy with the writing was at the end, about the last 75%, a lot of the book is recapped in Elec’s POV.  It made sense of why it was happening, but a lot of it was just a re-hash of what readers already knew.  I would not have minded it so much if we would have gotten more new information, but a lot of it was just Elec’s internal dialogue and it did drag some.

I L-O-V-E-D the characters in this book!  I loved reading from Greta’s POV.  She was very relatable, which made the heartbreak she suffered that much worse.  When reading those scenes, it almost felt as though I was going through my past heartbreak again.  I could feel her pain and my heart was literally hurting for her.  And Elec was amazing!  I liked his mysterious, dark past.  He is one of those characters that are hard on the outside, but warm and soft on the inside.  The secondary characters were also great and helped push the story forward.

The romance in this book was really the driving force behind it.  It is a taboo subject to have a relationship with your stepbrother, but Ward was able to write it amazingly.  Also, I know a lot of readers HATE cheating in books, but there is absolutely NO cheating…well physically anyway.  I know some people might consider cheating to be emotional as well, which I guess this would defiantly have.  I felt so bad for Greta and Elec because their connection was very apparent.  I rooted for them to be together and had my heart break several times throughout this book, but ultimately, was very satisfied with the ending.

I LOVED this book and really want to read more of Penelope Ward’s writing.  Ward’s writing was able to pull emotions from me that both broke my heart and made me giddy with joy.  I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy forbidden romance and angsty reads.  I will defiantly be picking up Neighbor Dearest as soon as I can!

{Rating}



“It may seem strange, but I quietly thanked Randy for what he had given me.  In life, he led me to my one true love.  In death, he made it possible to find her again.”

Also check out some of Penelope Ward’s other books below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...